iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 041

Started by Grey Eagle, November 17, 2007, 10:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Eagle

I need advice/opinions on a Stihl model 041.  There is one for sale near me for $200.  He said he and a neighbor used to cut wood together but his neighbor died 10 years ago and he has not used it since.  He had it tuned up 2 years ago, thinking he was going to use it, but never did.  Judging from the picture, I have no reason to doubt him.  I am looking for information regarding experience/opinions of this saw and if anybody knows how much horse power and rpm it produces. Does anybody know if this has front or side exhaust?

Thanks,

Jerry

stonebroke

A classic. I have had three of them. It is a little heavy and does not rev like new saws but it has torque. They also last almost forever. They were a favorite with farmers around here and you know how easy we are on machinery!!!!

Stonebroke

sawguy21

It was one of my favorites thirty years ago but is a dinosaur now. As stonebroke says it is heavy. Parts are starting to get scarce. Unless you have a real attachment to it and want to baby it, you would be better off looking for a modern replacement like a MS361. 200 dinero is more than it is worth.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_van

I bought one new in the early 70's, about 225.00 if I remember. I still have it too - 20" bar, it's cut more wood than I wanna think about! I have a 28" bar for it too, when needed, done some 4' dia. wood with it. You can't lean on it in the cut with that bar, but it gets the job done. I had a Husky 266 I was going to replace the 041 with some day, but couldn't, so I sold the Husky. My stubborn opinion, I wouldn't trade the 041 for any of the same size new saws made today with all their plastic etc.  I'd like to be buried with that Stihl someday - :D  Jerry, if you don't buy it, I might like a shot at it -  It's side exhaust -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Frickman

Good saw, but obsolete.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

little Bark

I have a 031 av which is from the same time early 70's.  Parts are very expensive and can be hard to find.   200.00 seems very high. 
Always use the rite tool for the job.

Grey Eagle

Thanks to all that responded!

Jerry

rewimmer

I run old 042 and 048 Sthil's. You may want to check the gas line and crankcase gasket. The 031's are great saws and you can find parts on E-bay. I run my saws  almost daily around the mill and we clearing some woods for pasture with them now.
I could not imagine how many hours they have on them but we keep them in good shape. I had three until a 32 inch pine log rolled off the sawmill and crushed one.
Robert in Virginia

Thank You Sponsors!