iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar studs

Started by ramv102000, December 04, 2013, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramv102000

Replacing the bar studs on a Stihl 032 . Should I put a drop of blue Loctite on them ?
Randy

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

shootingarts

Something often comes apart easier in years to come if you use one of the weaker grades of locktite instead of putting things together dry. It prevents corrosion and any possible galvanic action. There is relatively little contact between inner and outer threads, filling that gap keeps vibration from loosening things even with little or no gluing action.

Just my long winded way of saying "Yup"!

Hu

Al_Smith

I don't know why you would need to Loctite it in .I'd think just some thread lube would do it .Blue Loctite you can unscrew.Red Loctite takes about 400 degrees of heat to make it let go .

HiTech

Why would you want to Loctite the bar nuts? Most I have seen have a knurled end to keep them from slipping. There is always enough chain lube floating around to keep them lubed. I turn my bar over everyday to keep it wearing even.

Al_Smith

Depends on the stud design I suppose .Like Stihls screw in so I'd imagine the idea of thread locker is to prevent them from backing out .If the female threads are not damaged a little lube on the threads will allow it to be tightened to proper torque and it won't back out ever .

On the other hand if the stud was under torqued or it some ways came loose after a period of time the hole will be wallered out and then it would need some help holding the stud like thread locker compound .

AdkStihl

Quote from: HiTech on December 05, 2013, 07:03:37 AM
Why would you want to Loctite the bar nuts?

Studs........not bar nuts.
He's installing new bar STUDS.
Yes.....Loctite 242
J.Miller Photography

ramv102000

Yes, I'm talking about the studs . Not the nuts .
Randy

Al_Smith

:D That would be a dirty trick,Loctite the nuts .

AdkStihl

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 05, 2013, 12:12:07 PM
Yeah.....with 272, 292 or 609..... :D
J.Miller Photography

shootingarts

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 05, 2013, 12:12:07 PM

If you owe somebody a "favor" the wicking Loctite is supposed to work well. Just pass by their saw and soak down the threads.

A neighbor was real persistent trying to put the wrong flywheel on his chevy truck. Most smallblocks were internally balanced, the 400 had a much bigger weight on the harmonic balancer and a weighted flywheel. He couldn't keep the flywheel on the engine so he loctited everything with the hi-temp hi-strength stuff. Kept the bolts tight but the truck shook like a wild thing going down the road sixty miles an hour! That is when he got around to asking me about it. I told him the problem with the flywheel, the problem with the Loctite was a whole nuther issue! They finally got it apart but it wasn't fun.

Hu

Al_Smith

Those ornery rascals at work would redLoctite pad locks to drive people nuts .It usually took the "master key" more commonly known as bolt cutters to unlock them .As they say though ,"pay backs are a B-----"< ( under the radar  ;))

shootingarts

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 06, 2013, 08:47:05 AM
Those ornery rascals at work would redLoctite pad locks to drive people nuts .It usually took the "master key" more commonly known as bolt cutters to unlock them .As they say though ,"pay backs are a B-----"< ( under the radar  ;))

I was working a job years ago with way too many chiefs and not enough indians. 24 man crew, four foremen, a superintendent, and a few more bosses usually on hand. I was on the job a day or two when they made me foreman. I had 22 of the men to run and gave two to another foreman to handle materials. One fine morning one foreman was on another project, two were late, nobody there had a key to the gang box so 24 men were standing around looking foolish five minutes after start of work time. The super was going crazy. I told him, "master key in the toolroom." He said go get it. I didn't tell him what I had in mind but literally ran to the plant toolroom. Came back with five foot bolt cutters. Naturally just as I snapped the handles together the two foremen with keys rounded the corner into the unit one behind the other!

Pranks and paybacks in the plants got pretty funny sometimes, we'll talk about them if we ever share a beer.

Hu

clww

We have a new MS461 at work that has gone back to the dealer twice since October for the studs to be fixed. This one will have the studs just spin when the bar nuts are tightened. Yes, tightened, NOT over-torqued. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!