iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help identifying tree (solved Red Maple)

Started by BillB, January 30, 2008, 06:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillB

I am new to posting so I apologize in advance for the photos.

This tree is on my place in North East Texas and is growing on the bank of a pond in sandy soil.  One picture is of the leaves.  The stems seem to be red.  One is of the fall color and the third is of the bark.

I have consulted several guides but cannot be sure what it is. The bark always throws me.  There are no larger specimens nearby. Any help would be appreciated

Radar67

This is just a guess, but it kind of looks like a Red Maple from the leaves.

Welcome to the forum.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Hey Billb, welcome to the forum.

I was just going to say Red Maple too.

Good job on the pictures, especially the first one of the leaves.

It's possible to keep the picture size up to 350 or 400 pixels and still get the KB's under 30.

If you are having trouble with your photo program, try www.xat.com .  It's downloadable for free and even if you don't buy it, they leave you with a workable demo program.

If you decide to go that route, there are some instructions in "behind the forum".

zopi

Welcome!

Red maple...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Maple

gotta bunch of 'em here too,,,big crotch next door I will dissect soon...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

BillB

Thanks. I thought it was some kind of maple, but I have never seen the fruiting and flowers.  But I have only owned the property for two springs.  I will have to pay closer attention.

SwampDonkey

They have red flowers before the leaves come out and the seeds drop before mid summer.

Here are some buds that contain the flowers, they will be easy to spot, even looking way up into the tree, once you know what your looking at. ;D

Pores are smaller than largest rays.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!