iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

identifying maple?

Started by woodhick, September 13, 2009, 03:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

Have a customer that needs a bunch of pine cut for the local boy scouts.  I agreed to cut for free so he cut quite a few (25) maple logs that will be mine for the sawbill.  Problem is he doesn't know if they are hard or soft.   what's the best way to tell the difference after they have been cut?  I can't tell by the bark and there are no leaves?
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

EmannVB

Wood,

I looked in the ID forum, and found this link.  Hope it gets you started in the right direction.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,38302.msg552849.html#msg552849

~Mark
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

Kelvin

Hard maple looks like the candian flag, while soft maple is deeply serrated leaves.  Easy to tell.

tyb525

No leaves kelvin :D ;). Soft (silver) maple has smoother silver bark that becomes peely as it ages, sugar (hard) maple has gray to black furrowed bark.

Hard maple is white and may or may not have a small dark hardwood. Soft maple isn't as white, and is 30% softer.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

You can tell the difference in the width of the rays looking at a cross section.  I believe that hard maple has two distinct ray sizes.  One is obviously wider and the other is obviously narrower.  In soft maple, the rays all are similiar sized.  I may have this backwards, bit I am sure that one has multiple sized rays and the other is more consistent.  Maybe Swampdonkey or Dodgyloner will chime in as I am traveling and do not have access to my reference material.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

You've got it right, Danny. It wold probably be hard to see what you're talking about, though, without someone pointing it out. I will try to see if I can upload some pics later this week!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

You will need a hand lens to inspect the rays.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodhick

where is the best place to get a hand lens?   Thanks for the replies.  I was hoping for a little more info on the chemical way of  identifying them but will get me a hand lens and try that.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!