iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky Advice

Started by mushhuskies, December 21, 2008, 05:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mushhuskies

Hello all!
I'm fairly new to the forum, mainly a lurker.  I have read lots of good advice here and now I have a question or two.

I've been a very happy Jonsered 625II owner for the past fifteen or so years.  I have used this exclusively as a falling and bucking saw for the 6+ cords I cut every year.  The saw was completely rebuilt once, many years ago, but is now starting to get abit long in the tooth and the parts are getting hard to find and expensive.

I retired last year from the FS as a firefighter so I've had lots of opportunity to run different saws.  The FS mainly uses Stihls and Husqvarnas depending on where in the country you are.  Up here in Potato land its almost exclusively Stihl.  I really, really, really like my Johnny Red and I would buy another in a heartbeat but the dealer closed down.  So, I'll pay abit more for a Husky since they're practically the same thing.  Why not Stihl?  Too me its a personal quirk.  Stihls are OK but some of their products are not as durable/reliable as I'd like.  I do own a Stihl 026Pro that I use for thinning.  That saw is a mixed bag as I have had alot of trouble with the carb.  When it runs, it runs great.  When it doesnt.....grrrr.  I do like their 044, 066's (440's & 660's now).  Those are some *DanG fine saws but I'm not cutting line anymore or falling pumpkins.

So, my question.  I've been talking with the local Husky dealer and he's trying to sell me a 575xpw.  On this forum I've seen some not so good comments on this saw but lots of kudos on the 372xp.   I haven't run these newer saws yet and the dealer is still waiting for a shipment.  So, what do you folks favor and why?  At a minimum I have to have a saw that can pull a 24" bar (full skip, 3/8" pitch), and a full wrap.  I put an aftermarket wrap on my Jonsered but prefer one to come standard with this new saw.   The dealer said that the 372xp doesnt offer a full wrap???  That seems odd for such a popular saw.   Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated!  I hope to be able to get my hands on both of these saws soon for a real world test.

Cadenhill

The people I deal with offer the 372 with full wrap. The 372 is a great saw and you will be really pleased with it.
Cadenhill Farm- 11 Husky's-1 Stihl

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, Cadenhill!

Our Forum Sponsor, Baileys, offers a Univent chainsaw, which is a Husky 372XPW. It comes with a full wrap handle, and there is some debate as to whether it's been "woods ported" or not. Current theories are that it is a non-EPA burdened saw. Rocky_J has one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cadenhill

Thanks for the welcome. My one 372 has the half wrap and the other a full wrap. I like both.
Cadenhill Farm- 11 Husky's-1 Stihl

Rocky_J

Looks like I'm late to the party, as usual.  :)

Scroll down in the chainsaw forum and look at a thread titled 'Hot Rod 75cc Chainsaw Clearance' (or just click this link)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,34564.0.html

This is the Husky 372XPW (with the larger 75cc displacement) and full wrap handle. Univent is a company that markets saws for firefighters, they are simply rebadged Huskys. The serial number tag states that it's a Husky 372xpw. I just bought one of these last week and it's my fourth Husky372. I'm stocking up because the 575 sucks and I want enough saws to last me until the fuel injected saws come out in 5-10 years.

Bailey's is also one of the best forestry companies in the world to deal with. I've been buying from them for many years and their service and reputation are second to none.  8)
(how was that? when do I get my commission check?)  ;D

Cut4fun

372xp 70cc,  372xpw with full wraps  74.66cc. Just look at the top cover for cc  listed on top sticker to make sure which one you are getting if you dont know.

I hear there is a 576xp out now, to replace the 575. Haven't seen one yet, but have read people demoing them.

That Baileys deal on the husqvarna/univent is a great deal too,  if you dont need dealer support and can do your own work.

mushhuskies

Thanks for the advice.  Yeah, I'll go over and check the Baileys page.  I've been buying stuff for years from them but didnt know the Univent was a redbadged Husky.  That's why these forums are so handy!  Sounds tho like if I do go Husky I should probably steer toward the 372.  So, me thinks the dealer out here might be trying to unload an unpopular saw on an unsuspecting customer.   Better luck next time.   Thanks all...

timber tramp

What's the matter with the 575xp? I'm not into Husky's just curious.
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Maineloggerkid

Its a fat pig of a saw, IMO. Very heavy, and I thought the performance was actually much lower than the 372xp. I have owned both, and the 372 far surpassed the 575. I now have a 385xp, which is a real animal of a saw. It is about the weight of the 575, and far more power than either of the prev. saws.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Cut4fun

Just to throw a wrench into your thinking. If you have a Dolmar or Solo dealer that can get you parts and take care of you.
Take a look at the dolmar 7900 and solo 681. Pure animals right out of the box, nothing in the class comes close to weight to power on those saws.

GASoline71

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 21, 2008, 06:50:05 PM
Looks like I'm late to the party, as usual.  :)

Scroll down in the chainsaw forum and look at a thread titled 'Hot Rod 75cc Chainsaw Clearance' (or just click this link)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,34564.0.html

This is the Husky 372XPW (with the larger 75cc displacement) and full wrap handle. Univent is a company that markets saws for firefighters, they are simply rebadged Huskys. The serial number tag states that it's a Husky 372xpw. I just bought one of these last week and it's my fourth Husky372. I'm stocking up because the 575 sucks and I want enough saws to last me until the fuel injected saws come out in 5-10 years.

Bailey's is also one of the best forestry companies in the world to deal with. I've been buying from them for many years and their service and reputation are second to none.  8)
(how was that? when do I get my commission check?)  ;D

Great post Biran... I can't add any more to that info.  If I was sawin' as much as I used to... I would jump on one of those Univent's in a heartbeat...

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Gary! 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GASoline71

Dave Shepard

I see from your avatar that you are about 3/4 wrapped, most of us are only about 1/2 wrapped. :D

GASoline71

Yup... 3/4 wrapped and big dogs to boot!  :D :D :D

Gary

rickk

I have a 1999 vintage 371 and a 2008 Vintage 372. They are 99% the same, and I love them both. They have really decent power for their weight. 372's are getting hard to come by, so if you are serious, buy one soon. Jonsered is Husquvarna, so if you can't find a Husky then look at the equivalent Jonsered.

Reliability is good, although you will need to assemble a spare parts kit if you use them alot and really rely on them.

From memory, parts to keep around would be:

chain catcher (several)
Grip safety lever ( a couple)
spark plug (a couple at least)
ignition coil (one)
clutch bearing (a couple)
clutch E clip ( 10 they are cheap and easy to loose)
clutch retaining washer ( at least one)
complete clutch cover assembly (one)
Starter cover assembly(one)
wear plates (at least one set)
Nylon wear thingies (at least one)
Air Filter (at least one)
drive sprockets ( a few... never scrimp on them. Cheap compaired to wrecking a chain)

The clutch and starter cover assemblies may seem like an extravegance, but they don't cost much and cover many issues that can go wrong. If you mess something up, just swap the entire cover to get you up and running fast. If that happens, order parts to fix the bad cover to get them back up as spare parts.

This is not to imply that the saw is unreliable. Just be aware that things do wear out and break. Most of the parts mentioned are  "wear parts" and are expected to wear out. The rest are parts that I have had occasional issues with and decided to keep a spare around.

Between www.Partstree.com as well as Bailiey's  and Ebay you should be able to get anything you need. Be aware that partstree shipping is somewhat flat rate, so if you are ordering a 10 cent part, order lots of them and anything else that you foresee needing at the same time.

Personally, if I break something I order at least a replacement and a spare. If I break it a second time I order half a dozen or so. I learned the hard way this summer when a small tornado came thru the yard that a small and cheap part can keep a saw down for a week or more, making life suck untill you can get a replacement part. Hence, I bought the 372 so that I would have two saws, and started building up a decend spare parts kit as well. I own a small hobby farm and really rely on having a chainsaw running at all times.

Rick

mushhuskies

Wanted to get back to you all and let you know I ended up with a 046 Mag.  So far I am enjoying the new saw.   Plenty of power for what I need and a great falling saw.   I am sorry that I couldnt keep running a Jonsered or Husky but the dealers have gone out of business in these parts.  Dealer threw in a port job and some full skip. 

The old johnny still has a place of honor in the saw rack and still runs for awhile yet.

nhlogga

Quote from: mushhuskies on November 16, 2009, 08:49:14 PM
Wanted to get back to you all and let you know I ended up with a 046 Mag.  So far I am enjoying the new saw.   Plenty of power for what I need and a great falling saw.   I am sorry that I couldnt keep running a Jonsered or Husky but the dealers have gone out of business in these parts.  Dealer threw in a port job and some full skip. 

The old johnny still has a place of honor in the saw rack and still runs for awhile yet.

If you ever decide you want to rebuild your old 625 you can use husky parts. I believe the husky 61,66,266,268,272 engine parts will work. All available from Bailey's and relatively inexpensive. The new sponsor Chainsawr.com also has good used parts for your old 625. I've ordered form both and had excellent service from both.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

GASoline71

Quote from: mushhuskies on November 16, 2009, 08:49:14 PM

Your dealer did a port job on a used saw... pretty good deal if you ask me. :)

Gary

Thank You Sponsors!