iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan 361 fuel mix

Started by backwoodsdave, August 29, 2020, 09:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoodsdave

So I picked up a Poulan 361 bow saw at an estate sale a while back, it was  in the back of an old well shed for many years, only missing the chain, the lady said it was her fathers firewood saw as far back as she could remember, so I get it home and give it a quick cleaning, touch up the points, a little fresh gas I keep mixed for my husky and a few pulls it starts up and runs pretty good, my question is, what oil and mix should I run in this old saw, same as my 455 rancher or something different, I plan on using the old saw around the place so I don't want to damage anything.

sawguy21

Your mix will work just fine as long as the carb is properly adjusted. It will need an overhaul anyway. When that saw was built  heavier was recommended as 2 cycle oil was not as refined as it is now.

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

No help, but would like to see a picture of that critter.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoodsdave

sawguy21

That must go back to the 60's it looks like a rebadged XL-12 which a number of manufacturers shamelessly copied.

backwoodsdave

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 30, 2020, 01:56:59 PM
That must go back to the 60's it looks like a rebadged XL-12 which a number of manufacturers shamelessly copied.
I believe I read that it was patterned of the XL-12, Poulan built them from 1965-1976 (59cc) manual oiler, this one cranks with a choke and a couple of pulls every time, runs really good.

Al_Smith

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 30, 2020, 01:56:59 PM
Actually it is .Evidently from what an old McCulloch  and Homelite ,later Stihl dealer told me .Who ever designed the style just slightly changed the parts around so as not to infringe patent rights and everybody used them .I've seen the design from about 2 cubic inch up to about 5 .Fact I've got several Lombards at 4.2 cubic inch and a few Remingtons and I think one Homelite .Some run but I'm certain they all did at one time or another .

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoodsdave

<

Fresh pre mix, made up a chain for it, had to tweak the carb adjustments a bit but it idles good and cut these cookies with no problem, outside is still grungy but I need to find something to clean it that won't damage what paint is left on it,so far I'm happy with it .
br>

sawguy21

Spray 9 or a similar cleaner with an old tooth brush would work.

Thank You Sponsors!