iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

age of sawmillers

Started by kelLOGg, January 12, 2008, 08:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Not sure I am a sawyer, ran a mill for almost a year before I figured out an easier way to make a living, forester.  That was in the days when the only thing between you and the saw head was some hog wire to keep the big chunks off.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

arj

Don`t know if I`m a sawer or not, but I`m at least a guy that
saws. Don`t make many boards that I`d be ashamed of. I`m
70, hope to be a real sawer before I quit.
                                                                arj

Furby

Cedarman, when ya do the AT, please give me a heads up?
I'd love to have someone to hike with.
I promise I'll try to keep up with you! :)

Jason

I've been watching this forum for about 2 1/2 years. Great info. I really appreciate all the input.
Bought my mill 2 years ago. Sawing when I can. I stay busy all the time  between my family (wife, 4 year old girl, 2 year old girl, and another girl on the way), the fire department, the tree service that I work for and get my logs from, and the sawmill. I'm 31 and have enough experience in life now to know all I need to know :D. If only we could buy wisdom.
"Better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

SAW MILLER

I just voted.I am 55 and in the majority.Looks like more baby boomers are saw millers than any others.
I just finished sawing 2400 B.F. of sassafras for two women whos ages are 70 and 42 and they tailed every board and slab themselves.I have seen a lot of younguns who couldn't or wouldn't keep up with them.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Sawyerfortyish

I'm 45 and when i got out of school at 19 dad bought the old circle mill for me because him and grandpa needed some boards to repair things on the farm. 26 years later with a semi automated mill in a building 4 times the size of the original mill able to saw more in one hour now than I could in half a day when I started. I never dreamed things would take off like they have. Who knows when or where it will end. I enjoy going to work for myself every day and wouldn't want it any other way. I put in my time learning so I consider myself a sawyer.

deeker

My dad, 89yrs young runs the norwood LM2000 from time to time.  But mostly supervises his favorite 48yr old son.  That would be me.  He thinks he is in his 40's...but.....he tries.
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

LT40HDD51

Just got my vote in, not many young fellers around...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

andybuildz

I posted this in the other thread as well about the age of people here that do what we do...thought I should post this here as well so none of you miss it.
Yer never too old to persue yer dreams like John Stewart of The Kingston Trio always did. He just died and thought ya'll might enjoy this clip in his memory.
Be well!
andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWwayDfJtkE&feature=related
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

Thank You Sponsors!