iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started to build my Iron worker today.

Started by Kbeitz, August 08, 2016, 03:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I think I'm off to a good start. This is one of my lifetime dreams.
I have allways wanted one but I did not want to pay $15,000-$30,000
for one. So I have been gathering parts for a few years to build one.
1400lbs of steel so far.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jaygtree

looks neat. what's an iron worker do?  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Gearbox

Have you got the punches and dies . I use my wood splitter as a bender . Just weld up a jig and attach to plate an use wedge for the break .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Kbeitz

Yep I got a set punches and dies and I got a shear plate and bending dies.

what's an iron worker do?

A hydraulic ironworker can be used for punching, shearing, notching,
bending and other metal fabrication functions.
It  is the most used and most versatile machine a person can have
in their manufacturing or fabrication .

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

Every thing but work timber. Lol they are very handy!!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Shearing?? Years ago I went to a weld shop. That was when I could go out into the shop. They sheared some ½ steel for my project. Than punched some ½ holes into. Now I know what that thing is called.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Quote from: drobertson on August 08, 2016, 07:15:22 PM

But they help build mill parts...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

r.man

I have only been around one and that was at a welding course. It was amazing what that thing could do easily and I have wanted one ever since.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Delawhere Jack

I'll be paying you a visit! Hope I don't wear the rear bumper completely off the Jeep getting there!  :D

coxy

Quote from: jaygtree on August 08, 2016, 05:06:42 PM
looks neat. what's an iron worker do?  jg
:D :D :D thanks for asking first   I don't feel so lonely now :) :) :) :)

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Handy as a hip pocket on a sunday shirt  ;D I do some limited iron worker stuff using my 20 to log splitter... mostly bending...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

21incher

This should be a fun topic to follow. I have seen many with tooling for a good price on craigslist lately, but can't justify one.  How many tons will your unit be?    :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 08, 2016, 08:32:42 PM
Quote from: drobertson on August 08, 2016, 07:15:22 PM

But they help build mill parts...
You bet!  Stomped the pedal on  few,  very handy with the dies and punches
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on August 09, 2016, 07:14:38 PM
This should be a fun topic to follow. I have seen many with tooling for a good price on craigslist lately, but can't justify one.  How many tons will your unit be?    :)

I have no idea how to figure the tonnage on this toy.
First it has two stations. What i call the first station has a hydraulic cylinder
the pushes an arm like in the picture. This will increase the pressure quite a bit.

The second station has double hydraulic cylinders. It really has three. The third one
just moves the two hydraulic cylinder closer to the work station.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

A shop near me has a piranha. Really awesome machine for a fab shop.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 09, 2016, 07:54:40 PM
A shop near me has a piranha. Really awesome machine for a fab shop.

Thats what I really wanted.
But for what I do I could not justify the money that they sell for.
I used a piranha for 5 years.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I'm hoping there is someone on this forum that knows more about hydraulics
than me. I want this machine to run real slow. So I thought I could pump
the oil into a large cylinder and use that cylinder to pull a small cylinder.
Then use the oil that gets pushed out of the front of the smaller cylinder
to push the cylinder on my machine. I'm thinking this would slow down the
oil and increase the pressure. Am I right ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

Better (easier) to get a higher psi pump with a lower gpm rating.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Kbeitz

Quote from: gspren on August 10, 2016, 09:33:27 AM
  Better (easier) to get a higher psi pump with a lower gpm rating.

Years ago I bought a 4' X 4' box full of pumps hoses, flow controls,
hand controls, fittings and hydraulic motors. I might all ready have
what I need. I just dont know what I'm looking at when I look at
the pumps. I can tell the difference between a vane pump and a
gear pump but how can you tell if it's a higher psi pump with a lower
gpm rating by looking at it ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

On a single stage pump you can measure how many ounces in a given number of revolutions to calculate displacement or volume, pressure will need a gage. If it's a 2 stage pump with no capacity plate your on your own. On an iron worker at some time you will run the pressure up the whole way and I would want to know what that is for safety reasons. Using a smaller cylinder to boost pressure could be troublesome in that you would now have a limited volume before needing to back off and you probably wanted a larger diameter ram doing the work which needed more volume.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Grandpa

How about a piston pump with a closed center valve, it will pump whatever you need.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: gspren on August 10, 2016, 09:34:57 PM
  On a single stage pump you can measure how many ounces in a given number of revolutions to calculate displacement or volume, pressure will need a gage. If it's a 2 stage pump with no capacity plate your on your own. On an iron worker at some time you will run the pressure up the whole way and I would want to know what that is for safety reasons. Using a smaller cylinder to boost pressure could be troublesome in that you would now have a limited volume before needing to back off and you probably wanted a larger diameter ram doing the work which needed more volume.

I haven't completely thought it through, but with your multi-ram design, I think you are in for trouble.  Say you are pumping 3,000 psi in the big ram.  Figure the area of the cylinder and you get X tons of force.  Now push on the small ram with X tons, convert that back to psi from the cylinder area and you will see an increase in the psi - potentially more than the seals can take.  IF you put in relief valves, then there will be no mechanical advantage to your setup.  You will see the same speed (assuming the two small rams are the same diameter) from the large ram as the small rams.

Are you using an electric over hydraulic setup?  Why not vary the speed of the electric motor if you need slower motion?  That's assuming the pump works efficiently/effectively at any speed.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Thanks for all the input.
What about flow control valves ?

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 10, 2016, 11:41:07 PM
Thanks for all the input.
What about flow control valves ?

That would work but I would expect any restriction to cause a build up of heat.  That might not matter with this as you probably are not doing production work.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!