iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replacing band tires

Started by limbrat, June 20, 2013, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I have the old ones off and located some more. The wife has gone to get them. They are b56 belts they go on 18" wheels on a lm1. If someone knows a trick for snapping them back on i would sure like to know it.
Thank you
ben

Andy White

limbrat

If you had a hard time getting the old ones off, You know the rest. Neil at Woodland Mills  helped me with mine the first time. Use soap, and work the belt slowly, and do not pry on it with a screwdriver. Eventually it will roll itself on the groove. The second set he sent me was a set of bottom cog belts that you could almost throw on from the back of the barn, but they work very well. Also he said so0mething about expanding your vocabulary, what ever that means!!!                              Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

dutchman

You can soak the new belts in warm water to make them more flexible.

Ga Mtn Man

Have a look at this video:

http://youtu.be/1jnbLFKvJoI

After you get the belt clamped in place, put two twists in the loose section of the belt.  This will un-twist as you lever the belt into place
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

limbrat

That went a lot better than i thought it would. I put the belt in the assembely lined up the dust marks on the flange bearings and tightened them up. Put the tire on as far as i could with my hands and put a clamp on the wheel on each side of the tire so it wouldnt back off. Put a pipe through the spokes of the wheel so that it wouldnt move much. Put some conola oil on the wheel and a piece of steel brake line over a philips screw driver worked it under the tire and pulled it right on the wheel. It went good and took longer to pick up and clean up than to do it. I will go out in the morning and make sure everything is lined up and tracking right.
ben

Ga Mtn Man

Glad I could be of help to you ::).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

redbeard

I have never had to remove the wheels, although it would make it easier. Nice video thanks for sharing Paul. Only other advise I can see is find some dedicated flat head screw drivers and smooth the edges and polish them smooth to keep from gouging new belts. Dawn liquid soap in warm water works real well for me. I also like that clamp what brand is that?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

garyfg

Ought to go on the 18 inch wheels easy. I use them on my 19 inch wheels

limbrat

Sorry i should have posted my question earlier. The wife made it back a few minutes after my fist post. 
ben

Thank You Sponsors!