iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shopping list for new blades

Started by Tee, June 18, 2013, 09:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tee

I've decided to go with 1 1/2 blades instead of 1 1/4 blades since I have very few blades at all. And in referencing the following old post, several folks mentioned they provably would if they didn't have such an inventory of 1 1/4's.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,66437.msg993561.html#msg993561
      Since I'd like to have a couple types for different wood here is what my first thoughts are:
30 10 deg (since provably more pine for now)
20 7 deg
10 7 deg turbos
I plan on staying with .o45 and the quantity gets me to at least 60 for the discount and shipping. Now I'd like some educated opinions on what else I should consider. 9 deg? Couldn't imagine needing 4 deg.
      Tee

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tee on June 18, 2013, 09:08:26 PM
Couldn't imagine needing 4 deg.

Woodmizer will probably send you a 4° to try if you ask them. So imagine.....Rock Hard Pecan.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

NMFP

My suggestions come from sawing and also sharpening but I wouldn't double up on the 7 degree by using 7 degree and 7 degree turbo.  Also, I would also probably forgo the 10 degree as well and stick mainly with the following:

40 7 degree regular bands
20 4 degree bands.

No need to go with a high hook angle when a 7 is a general use band where they used to say 10 degree was.  I only use 7 degree and 4 degree and have not used a 10 in about 5 years.  I use 7 degree for everything except white oak and hickory where I use 4 degree.

I sharpen many bands and have converted many customers over the years to 4 and 7 degree because they fit the application.  I cannot think of one example where a 7 will not cut when a 9 or 10 would.  keep it simple!  too many options just adds to confusion later on!

Tee

NMFP, very interesting. Looking forward to feedback on this thought on a list as well. All keep in mind a good bit of SYP.
And I have been using a 7 part of the time it was a 10 now that yo bring it up.

Tee

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 18, 2013, 09:13:29 PM
Quote from: Tee on June 18, 2013, 09:08:26 PM
Couldn't imagine needing 4 deg.

Woodmizer will probably send you a 4° to try if you ask them. So imagine.....Rock Hard Pecan.  :D

My comp to pecan here may be live oak!

5quarter

Tee...see if WM will send you a couple 2° bands for that Live Oak.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

MartyParsons

Hello,
It would be nice to know what hp your mill has. Are you sawing for production? Do you sharpen your own blades?  Have you used 1 1/2 blades before? What hook angle have you used before and which do you think works the best? Does your mill have hi performance blade guides? Pressured lube system? What are you using for blade lube? What is your experience level?

Lots of questions I know. But the answers will help us help you.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Tee

Thanks for your reply Marty. Here's all the answers.

It would be nice to know what hp your mill has.
   34 diesel
Are you sawing for production?
   No
Do you sharpen your own blades?
   No
Have you used 1 1/2 blades before?
   No
What hook angle have you used before and which do you think works the best?
   10's and 7's. Used the 10's on pine and 7's on everything else.
Does your mill have hi performance blade guides?
   No, roller guides.
Pressured lube system?
   Yes, Lubemizer.
What are you using for blade lube?
   Water, pinesol and cascade.
What is your experience level?
   Minimal.

Gasawyer

I have switched to 7° for almost all sawing,pine,cedar,oak,poplar,etc. My mill has never liked 1 1/4 bands so I have run 1 1/2 bands for 15 years. I am going to order some of the Turbo bands in august.  I don't think that you will regret the switch.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Tee

Quote from: Gasawyer on June 20, 2013, 05:25:38 PM
I have switched to 7° for almost all sawing,pine,cedar,oak,poplar,etc. My mill has never liked 1 1/4 bands so I have run 1 1/2 bands for 15 years. I am going to order some of the Turbo bands in august.  I don't think that you will regret the switch.
Gasawyer, Do you use .045's or .055's?

Gasawyer

.045 haven't tried any of the newer. 055s ran some when they first came out and they cut great but only lasted between 4-5 hrs run time before breaking. If your not trying to cut production I don't think that .055s are required. Another upgrade that you might consider is installing the high performance blade guides. The only problem with that upgrade is you don't get some of the slight wave in the cut as the band starts to dull so you have to watch the hours I generally get 2-2.5 hrs. a band with a debarker.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

MartyParsons

Hello,
The information helps.
I am just thinking. In my region most customers are using 7 degree. Does the 10 degree perform better in the Pine in your area? The 7 degree in pine reacts in what way?.

34 hp gives you more options on blade choice. Faster saw head feed rate decreases sawdust on lumber, smaller hp mills can not increase feed rate and keep a constant band speed. Usually referred to Surface Feet per Min. or SFM. The new Turbo or 7/39 blade works best with faster saw head feed rate. In lower hp mills the 9 degree blade works well because it has less set and a lower tooth height.

I must go. If you want me to talk about all the lines later I will. Some of this may be common knowledge but I will share my opinions if you want.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Thank You Sponsors!