iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber stored in shipping container

Started by D6c, April 22, 2024, 03:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I'm trying out some shelving brackets I made to store lumber in a shipping container.  The brackets hang on the loops along the top of container sides.  You can buy these type brackets but they're quite expensive at around $4-500 for each bracket.

They're a fair amount of work to build but they seem to work ok.  In the last pic I've got them loaded up pretty good and it seems to handle it ok.  The lumber that's on the shelf and under it was enough to pretty well cover the floor of the container and was kind of hard to get around on without knocking stacks over.

I'm going to put a second set on the other side and one set in a second container.

Digger Don

Are you trying to dry the lumber, or just keep it dry? If the former, I don't think you'll have enough air circulation to do much good. I don't see any stickers, so I'm guessing it is already dry.
Timberking B20, Magnatrac 5000, Case 36B mini excavator

mudfarmer

Digger Don it looks like there is a dehumidifier on the back wall with condensate drain going outside but still guessing this is dried stuff staying dry.

D6c thanks for the idea I am going to whip some up! Will do one set first and just use as shelving like your second pic. Built 10ft long free-standing shelf out of wood to store equipment parts and attached to the loops at the top but your idea also eliminates the front supports :thumbsup:

doc henderson

I have a container.  some stuff drying and a dehumidifier and two box fans.  keeps the dry stuff dry, and slowly dries stuff like burls.  gets down to about 7%.  good for storage.  I have big slabs and the 23-inch wide by 10-foot lumber.  I have remote temp. and RH devices in there also.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

D6c

Quote from: Digger Don on April 23, 2024, 03:23:28 PMAre you trying to dry the lumber, or just keep it dry? If the former, I don't think you'll have enough air circulation to do much good. I don't see any stickers, so I'm guessing it is already dry.
This is previously kiln dried that I'm just storing.  I have a dehumidifier that keeps the humidity down in summer.  This particular container isn't in as good of condition as my other one and doesn't seal as good as it should, so it gains moisture a little more than I'd like.

D6c

Got the idea from this YouTube channel.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UYiYch-6kE&t=3s

Looked around and found a version that didn't have the supports at the front of the shelf.

https://shop.seabox.com/collections/shelving-systems

Thank You Sponsors!