iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

River Birch Crotch

Started by ozarkgem, October 16, 2016, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I sawed this up just for fun. Sealed the ends and stacked them with weight. Anyone have any experience with this wood?  Looks good green ;)

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bucknwfl

I have made bowls and spoons from river birth even cookies.  It is very pretty when splayed.  But that's all I got

Thank
Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Bandmill Bandit

I love birch. It is great to work with and finishes up real nice.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

rjwoelk

I made a  birch bed frame 6x6 legs mortise and tenon joint for ourselves and one for my daughter.4x6 legs. They were cut green assembled and dryed on their own. If one gets lots of heart wood in them, and with tung oil they do come out pretty nice.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

ozarkgem

I think the Birch up North is a little different. It may act different when drying . Not sure. Hope its not too bad as it looks nice and saws easy.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have cut a bunch of the southern variety. The crothches sold as fast as I could get them on C.L. Especially a spalted one I ran across. Nice stuff, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

tmbrcruiser

I saw a birch log a few days ago, nice lumber with some dark flecking. Did notice the need to keep turning the log to relieve stress.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

ozarkgem

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on October 17, 2016, 10:44:21 PM
I saw a birch log a few days ago, nice lumber with some dark flecking. Did notice the need to keep turning the log to relieve stress.
They seem to have a lot of stress. That is why I was wondering if anyone had slabbed one before.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: ozarkgem on October 18, 2016, 05:19:10 AM
They seem to have a lot of stress. That is why I was wondering if anyone had slabbed one before.

Swamp Birch has stress but not that bad. Swamp birch tends to grow in clumps around here and is not the same tree as river birch though. River birch is pretty stable I find as is White Birch and is more common out here.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

xlogger

[/quote]
I also pickup a large river birch yesterday and plan on slabing it 9/4. Anyone got an answer for our question? He also has a large Elm, just a little larger than my mill will cut but I can trim it up some to saw it. Its been sitting drying with some cracks for several months now. Wonder how it might turn out?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

You rarely see a straight river birch tree.  They always seem to grow leaning out over a stream, creek, etc.  This results in tension wood in the log which can cause problems in getting the boards/slabs to dry flat.  Still, it is pretty wood, especially that crotch wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on December 01, 2016, 07:59:31 AM
You rarely see a straight river birch tree.  They always seem to grow leaning out over a stream, creek, etc.  This results in tension wood in the log which can cause problems in getting the boards/slabs to dry flat.  Still, it is pretty wood, especially that crotch wood. 

Danny,

Those birch trees leaning over the river are the ones you tie your bushhooks (Limblines) to when fishing for big catfish.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

taylorsmissbeehaven

I had three crotches. sawed them all 6/4 and sold all but one piece. the piece I kept has been in my shop for a couple of years now and has not cracked. There is no heart in it, so that may be why. It seemed to dry nicely and hopefully I will get around to building the table I kept it for one of these days! Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Don P

Kind of OT but I've been playing with forks and might have another market possibility, who knows.

I've done several porches with posts, braces and bolsters that I've prefabbed. This gives me plenty of splice and connection room for the carry beam above the bolster. In this case it was built up of dimensional lumber, if span and load allow I've used solid sawn there as well... the prefabbed post is where I'm going.

Those things are a fair amount of work fitting braces, etc. Things dry and loosen a bit.

So I'm cutting up a neat cherry crotch and it dawns on me that this is already a superior braced post, the grain is flowing right through the braces and they are firmly connected to the post... what have I been thinking, this is the way to prefab a set of bolstered posts for a cabin. 2 tennons from branches into the bolster mortises and it isn't going anywhere.

Way way aside;
This was forked black birch poles, everybody there was forked so the kids lashings were just holding the poles together but the load was on the forks.

WDH

Neat post idea.  Are you going to remove the bark?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Yes, it is now assembled, drawknifed smooth and standing upside down against a wall in the shop. I tried to teach drivers ed and needed to make welding room in the shop... but that's a whole nuther story :D.  I've accumulated a few more of different species, hickory and maple seem to provide good shaped forks too. It changed the way I look at bucking a log in that size range.

That pic was about a year ago, I started making cherry wainscot at work yesterday out of the 4/4 that is in the back of the truck in that pic.

xlogger

Going finally to getting around to cutting my river birch log this week, should I let  it dry slow or put it under fans?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Den-Den

Quote from: xlogger on February 19, 2017, 07:41:03 AM
Going finally to getting around to cutting my river birch log this week, should I let  it dry slow or put it under fans?

I have only cut and dried one river birch, cut it up fresh, stacked it with stickers and covered with sheet metal.  It dried clean with no stain and very little warp.  If yours has been laying around for a while, it may be spalted.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Don P

I would go slow, just ahead of the blue and mold on the surface to let the moisture in that swollen core migrate out before the surface shrinks enough to split over the fat wet core inside.

WDH

I would run fans on it.  Backed off about 6 feet. 

Thank You Sponsors!