iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle saw set works

Started by chopperdr47, February 12, 2014, 10:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddyw

Their is a video on u tube , by a guy that calls himself Frickenjeep !
He has two video's that shows up close pictures and he explains each mill made by Frick.
He also said that he would be willing to help anybody that needed help with their old circle mills.  He ether collects old mills or works for someone who does, because in the video you can see he has several mills sitting around.
I believe if you go onto u tube and search (Frick sawmills ) you should be able to find it. Good look.   
I myself have watched a bunch of sawmilling stuff on u tube since the weather is crappy.  LOL !!!!

NMFP

I found them and for some reason, had never seen them before.  Thank you.  Unfortunately I didn't see the style that's on mine but I will keep looking. They aren't that hard to rebuild and work on so I am sure there can be some modification done fairly simple with parts from a model B.  We shall see.

Thanks again for the information.

A10ECGent

NMFP I think yours is older than you think . I was told that mine was pre 1910. 

Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

Ron Wenrich

Or its possible that it's not a Frick receder.  Both of those setworks look pretty similar.  But, the receder might be an early version of a power receder.  There should be some casting numbers on those things.  I can't remember what the first letter should be for Frick.  You'll find a letter followed by a couple of numbers on castings like the uprights.  That first letter was used to identify the mill mfg. 

A lot of mill makers had parts that were almost identical to other mills.  I put Frick dogs on a Farquahr carriage one time.  It needed just a little adapation, as the Frick was just a little smaller.  The ratchet gears were identical. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beenthere

Link to one of the Fricknjeep vid's. Looks like some good viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LimP5udTYrA
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NMFP

A10, yours looks identical to mine!!!! Do you have any model numbers at all?  I think its a model A for some reason but I am not sure. 

Mine definitely says Frick on the sides of the wheels.  I wonder if Model B replaced the model we have?

Any information you might have or could share would be appreciated.  Hows does yours work?

A10ECGent

NMFP I sent pictures of our mill to Frickco for I'd. They told me that they had only seen one like. It was a 1903 that they had just received on trade. There are differences on the husk also. Look at my pics. Fricco bought all the patents and drawings on the older fricks they mailed me a copies of the old manual. Your set works are forward and back turn handle left and pull to advance turn right and push to recede I wonder if the receder on your was added to allow you to pull to recede.
Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

NMFP

A10... I am sure it was added for that reason as it is a frick part.  I spoke with a guy that owned numerous frick mills over the years and he is now 94.  He had never seen the receeder like this before but knew that some options were available for purchase from frick over the years.  Maybe what I have is one of them.  I can say that it will quickly recede the knees.  I cant remember correctly but before I disassembled for cleaning and refurbishing.. I think one pull of the receeder receeded the knees 6" so 3 pulls generally is enough for the average logs I will be sawing.  The set works on the other hand was all gummed up and didn't work real smooth due to the junk build up on the wheels and the pawls.

As I was looking around on line yesterday, I found pictures of the setworks but doesn't show anything as far as model and so on... Just a picture.

Did the information they provided you give you any indication of proper assembly and a diagram of parts?

Appreciate all the help!

Thank You Sponsors!