iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blackgum Behavior

Started by chickenchaser, February 13, 2016, 07:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk42

Lynn do you know if they are carved green or dry. My mother had one that was about two' long and it came from her mother and I don't know the age of it. My dad said it was black gum. Also as  young boys we would make toy log  wagons and make the
wheels of black gum.   
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Alligator

Quote from: Magicman on February 15, 2016, 05:49:33 PM
Quote from: Alligator on February 15, 2016, 05:22:16 PMMM do you see Black and Tupelo Gum as the same spices?
I am not a "tree-ologest", but to me they are cousins and their wood use is interchangeable.

Water Tupelo (tupelogum, sourwood) scientific = Nyssa aquatica.
Black Gum (black tupelo, sour gum, pepperidge) scientific = Nyssa sylvatica Marsh.
Swamp Tupelo (swamp blackgum, blackgum) scientific = Nyssa sylvatica bilflora

The reason I ask, I spent about 6 years scaling / trying to separate Black Gum from Tupelo Gum. We had a log swap deal with a plywood / door manufacturer. They wanted only Tupelo Gum in 12-14-16 ft. lengths. We swapped even for Cypress which they had no use for. They used the Tupelo for the face of the doors. Almost every load they would send 1 to 5 logs back, said it was Black Gum. Close to the end I figured it out pretty good, but still sent a "Black Gum" every now and then. We were happy to get rid of the Gum of any kind. As discussed it was hard to keep on the sticks, with lot of loss. I never got to see any leaves, on the yard, just ends and bark. Tupelo most of the time has a greenish 1" to 2" pith on the butt cut, but sometimes not. We thought Cypress for Gum was a good deal any way you slice it. :)
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Den-Den

Quote from: chickenchaser on February 15, 2016, 07:03:17 AM
Quote from: Den-Den on February 13, 2016, 07:40:31 PM
Black gum is great wood for carving.
Sorry to be a bit "under informed" here. When you say carving, does that also mean it would be good or acceptable for turning? Especially for a prospective beginner?
It turns very nicely, excellent for a beginning turner.  It is also nice wood for enhancements like carving, pyro  or dye.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

chickenchaser

Thanks, Den.

Sounds like I have quite a few options after all.

Thanks, everyone.
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Magicman

Quote from: elk42 on February 15, 2016, 06:53:45 PMLynn do you know if they are carved green or dry. 
I have no idea.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on February 15, 2016, 08:38:26 PM
Quote from: elk42 on February 15, 2016, 06:53:45 PMLynn do you know if they are carved green or dry. 
I have no idea.   ???

You might want to ask user @woodbowl

Herb

Magicman

Herb, the @ notifier had to be disabled.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Thanks MM, I missed that.

Maybe woodbowl will happen to read this and give us his expert opinion.

Herb

WDH

The dough bowl that woodbowl made for me is pecan  smiley_devil.

Carvers prefer the wood from the butt swell of the water tupelo. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!