iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2023 Sawing mission

Started by Ianab, October 21, 2023, 02:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Then I flipped up the ugly bottom slab from the last log and made that into a 2" live edge "shape".

20240218_170718s.jpg

20240218_172240s.jpg

One of the better boards. From what I have read Sugi is probably most closely related to Giant Redwood, but is usually a lighter colour. These trees aren't that old, and were never managed for timber, so the logs have a few lose knots in places. But in the right location they actually grow pretty fast, and produce a light but durable timber.
 20240218_172751s.jpg
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

Ian
You sure could use a LogRite mill special cant hook.  ffcool

Cut out that jacking.   :wink_2: :wink_2:

Nice boards coming from those logs. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I do have a big log hook, that works pretty well. It's good for rolling logs on flat ground, but it's hard to get any lift to got over an obstacle, or up onto the log bunks. The jack is slower, but can put a lot more force on a log, with minimal effort on my part.

Ideal would be a tractor of course, just not an option here.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I thought the use of the Hi-Lift jack was very innovative.  ffcool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2024, 10:22:25 PMI thought the use of the Hi-Lift jack was very innovative.  ffcool
Ya work with what you got.  I actually thought of it when visiting a local logging museum, and they had some pretty fancy manual jacks for wrangling BIG logs back in the day. If it worked 150 years ago, it probably still works today. 

So the big log hook got the log to the bunks, but lifting it up the slope? Wasn't going to happen. Set the jack, lift / roll it, and kick that chunk of wood in under it when I needed to reset the jack.  A few minutes and I'm good to go. 

Ianab

This sort of thing. An old picture of 4 guys using jacks to move a freaking huge log. 

https://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/12747/using-timber-jacks

cutterboy

lanab, there are a lot of logs in that stack. You better quit your day job and saw logs full time. :wink_2: ffcheesy
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ianab

Got back to the log pile again this afternoon. Jacking the next log out of the stack.  Main worry with jacking logs like this is if the jack slips out, what's going to happen? So it's jack a bit, insert blocks, reset jack, repeat as needed. 

It might be a bit hard to see, but at this point If jacked the log up out of notch it's sitting in, and inserted some firewood rounds to hold it up. Now lower an inch so it's resting on those, and I can reset the jack.

Reposition and jack a bit more, and it's clear. FF calculator suggests the log is over 2,000 lb, so you don't want to be under it. 

A bit more putzing around and I'm good to go. Log is 4 meters long (~15ft). Basically the max for the mill, but I can set up the rails where needed, rather than having to shuffle a ton of log forward or back. 

But after cutting a few sticker to open up the log... 

And it got worse as I got deeper in.  :uhoh:

It's a risk you take with salvage trees, or pretty much any log for that matter. I did get some really good stuff, like full length 6" wide clear boards. And the 1/2 of the log above the rot was solid, so probably still got 3/4 of the wood as usable boards, just some of it shorts. Taylor's class has a new laser engraver, and "tech week" coming up. The sugi will be dry enough by then to run some through the planer and drop it off to school. So the shorts wont be wasted. 

Ianab

Calling it quits on this mission. Some of the logs are were getting too far gone / punky / bugs from sitting on the ground. Got some good stuff, and most of the last log went up to Taylor's school for their "Tech Week". I'd mentioned to her teacher at the start of the year that I might be able to supply some wood for the "tech" stuff. Anyway he got back to me with cut list, shorter 2x2 and 1x4 stuff, that I could get out of a dodgy log. And some 6x1 that I've planed for their laser engraver. 

It saved the school ~$600 in wood, and they can work with Sugi, as opposed to pine. 

Magicman

You made a very nice contribution and one that the teacher and students will not soon forget.  ffsmiley  Actually you are a sorta hero.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Taylor came home with this today. It's engraved on a little off cut of Monterrey  cypress I'd sent in. Signed on the back by the class, and nicely oiled to show the grain and colour.  ffsmiley

20240322_140610s.jpg 
20240322_140623s.jpg

So they obviously have got the laser cutter working, and now have some wood to play with. 

thecfarm

Nice!!!
Looks like your daughter signed it too?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

That is really nice! Something to treasure for the rest of your life.
This is what life is all about. You share your time and energy and unique ability with your family and community and they in turn show their appreciation by giving their time and energy to you.
I find this heart warming and hopeful for the future.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

The plaque is a nice gesture and the signatures on the back show a very wide variety of personalities.   :thumbsup:    That is a keeper for sure.   ffsmiley

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Some pics from the school. They got some sponsorship from the local hardware store, but they only needs potting mix. pots and seeds, so they were well stocked with those. 

20240321_095749s.jpg20240321_095621s.jpg20240321_123408s.jpg20240321_125654s.jpg

SawyerTed

The plaque and those photos are better than cash!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

archeryplus

Very cool mill, alot of great excersize, and sweet looking wood!  Best way to spend the day.

Thank You Sponsors!