iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut Protection

Started by jon12345, December 31, 2005, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon12345

I recently discovered 3 small butternuts (5-7'  1.5-2" dbh), and am very excited and concerned about their future.  These trees in general seem to be on a downhill slide, due to the canker that infects them.  2 other big butternuts, probably the parents of these, are on their way out..  I had to check the bigger ones out and determined the smaller trees were butternuts, based on bud scars, since I'd never seen any small ones. I also noticed some budding on the older trees, so they probably will make it though another summer.  Hopefully they will bear viable fruit next year so I can increase the stocking level here.

I've looked up a lot on butternut recently and haven't really been able to find any information on how to protect them.  Is this canker spread the same way as  beech scale infects beech?  Would removing the infected trees help, or would disturbing them release spores that could possible infect these young trees?
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Quote from: jon12345 on December 31, 2005, 04:41:20 PM
Is this canker spread the same way as  beech scale infects beech? 
Spores are carried by birds and possibly insects in the fine branches. From there the spores are spread to other parts of the tree by rainfall.

QuoteWould removing the infected trees help, or would disturbing them release spores that could possible infect these young trees?
Infected trees, branches and seed should not be transported. The disease infects trees of all ages.

[source]
http://www.canadiansilviculture.com/spring05/foresthealth.pdf.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OLD_ JD

canadien forest ranger

jon12345

The bark is fallin off  :( the branches are snappin off  :( but they are still hangin in there  :)

I found a spot where squirrels buried a bunch of butternuts in my old sandbox. Talk about motherlode!, there are 15-20 stems coming up in a 1' circle  ;D 

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

I'll be planting more this fall in a gravelly area if I have seed from my lawn tree this fall. I found after the first year the growth slows a bit untill a good root system develops. I've got to erect some fine mesh fence around some seedlings this spring to keep the hare from nipping off the terminal leaders.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!