iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any kiln drying services in or around the Austin, TX area?

Started by DemolitionMan17, June 02, 2019, 08:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DemolitionMan17

Hello all, I'm fairly new to woodworking and milling/drying lumber. I acquire a good amount of logs through my line or work and just started milling them because i got tired of just throwing them in a dumpster! I have a couple local sawmills that i use to process the logs, but would love to find someone in the area to kiln dry the wood for me also. I am fine with paying cash, but ideally i would be bartering lumber for kiln time. It would be nice to be able to use all this stuff I have cut up without waiting years and years! Thank you all. 

Pete 

scsmith42

Brandon Berdoll in Bastrop has some kilns but I don't think that he dries for others.

You might look into constructing a solar kiln and drying them yourself.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DemolitionMan17

Thanks for the reply, I've met Brandon a few times, they have a very nice operation out there, but they are also very expensive. I also don't think they run loads for individuals. I'm more looking for an individual with a small kiln or solar kiln.  I have thought about the solar kiln option, but don't really have the real estate to put one up in my backyard. I'm currently storing milled lumber in my garage, and 2 of my friends backyards!

LeeB

There use to be a guy lived in Leander and had a furniture shop in Bertram that I used to saw mesquite for but that was 12 year ago. There also used to be one out around Lake Buchanan but I think it is long gone.  
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

Quote from: LeeB on June 05, 2019, 09:59:14 AM
There use to be a guy lived in Leander and had a furniture shop in Bertram that I used to saw mesquite for but that was 12 year ago. There also used to be one out around Lake Buchanan but I think it is long gone.  
Craig Lagerstrom with Texas Mesquite Furniture.  I stopped by and met him around 2007.  Really great guy and a superb craftsman.
His website is still active and dated 2019 so it appears that he may still be around.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Thanks, I couldn't remember his name to save my life. We had a pretty good thing going with the mesquite. He would have a load delivered and just ell me to saw as I saw fit to get he best figure out of it. Sometimes he would have a cut list, but mostly not. He said I had a better eye for what he wanted than he did.  :D 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!