iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mandatory Cutting Orders

Started by 1938farmall, February 02, 2009, 10:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowman

I guess I'm just speaking from my own experience with the stump marking thing. I cut mostley for one sawmill for 25 years and developed a good relationship with them. After 10 years or so they didn't even mark timber on units I was going to cut. Forester just told me what the cutting prescription was and thats what I did. I was working gypo, paid by the thousand and it was a temptation to cut the trees that would make me the most money but in the logging busines your rep is everything. It worked  good for me because I was more productive not dealing with some forester marking trees to cut that were locked in by leave trees, stuff like that. Worked good for them by saving time and money for a forester to mark my units. Since I semi reired I've done some little private jobs that I 1st walkd with landowner. Gave them advice on their stand of timber, listened to what they wanted, we developed a working relationship. They didn't mark trees much less stumps.It always worked out fine. I encouraged them to visit my work daily, ask questions give comments. Anyway thats where I'm coming from on this, works great for me. :)

Cedarman

It takes a good bit of time to develop the trust and reputation that you have Snowman and it is serving you well.  It's a shame that too many think short term gain and worry about long term later. 

We have loggers with both types reputation in our area.  Too often landowners only care about who offers the most for the timber not thinking of the cost of taking too many trees for the future.  For most in our area timber income only comes in every 15 to 20 years and they do not want to do the research necessary to find the best loggers.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!