iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabber needed in/near Kansas

Started by Girk, December 17, 2013, 09:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girk

I have a short, six foot, silver maple log with a 195 inch circumference at the top of the log where a crotch is formed.  But the top of the log is slightly oval and will take a 72 inch bar to slab it.  I've checked with the Kansas Forest Service and the biggest slab bar they know of in Kansas is about 60 miles away, and his bar is 60".  The log may not be worth going to a lot of trouble to slab, but it came from my parents' home, so there is some sentimental value.  I live about 50 miles north of Wichita.  How far would I have to travel to find someone to slab this log?  Anyone in northern Oklahoma or western Missouri?  Thanks for any advice.

mesquite buckeye

Welcome Girk.  ;D I have no idea, but perhaps someone will be along who can help you.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dboyt

I'll ask around.  The Missouri Forest Products Association might have some info.  Here is a link: http://www.moforest.org/  Good luck.  I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in what  you come up with.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

terrifictimbersllc

Perhaps call Lucas and see if they'll tell you where the nearest 72" slabber is?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

rph816

Here's a list put out by the KS Forestry Service.  We're not on it (as we don't do much commercial milling) but our mill is in Salina.  We don't have a slabber set up yet, but working on it.

http://www.kansasforests.org/documents/products/Kansas%20Sawmills.pdf

Silver maple slabs are not very stable at all, but can be really pretty, go thick and plan to plane a lot off. - Ryan

Thank You Sponsors!