iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Tuff vs. Granberg CSM

Started by Siphon, February 18, 2017, 10:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siphon

I've been holding off on buying a CSM until we got moved into the new house and I had my work shop set up. The moment is upon me, but when I got the new catalog from NT&E they now sell the Timber Tuff CSM. It looks like a clone of the GI AK MK-III. I've spent some time trying to find reviews and comparisons between the two to no avail. Does anyone here happen to know?

Davidf78

I can't comment on the Granberg because I haven't used it.  I purchased the Timbertuff and used it to mill 4 6x6s and 6 3x6s for a shed floor frame.  It worked fine and I'm glad I saved the money. 

JohnW

No, I don't know.  I looked at close up pictures of the TMS-36 and it looks exactly like the Granberg, identical parts and connectors, except for two.  The round bar is connected with a small nut and bolt on the Granberg and with a wing nut and bolt on the TMS-36.

It must be the same stuff, it must be just a matter of marketing.  northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company seems to handle them both.

Savannahdan

I originally purchased the Granberg 30"  and recently picked up the 56" rail set.  Not sure if the Timbertuff will accept Granberg add-ons.  They were cheaper through Bailey's.  I read somewhere in the Granberg information about using some types of nuts and the vibration causing them to come loose.  Not sure if this would apply to the wing-nuts.  Also read that the Timbertuff is made in China.  The Granberg says theirs are made in the U.S.A.  Hope this helps.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

celliott

Pretty sure there is a story about northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company (there is a link to the forums position on this company for a reason when you type that keyword) they copied a forum sponsors original product idea with a cheap copy that was nearly identical. No permissions, copyright etc. just a low,low move.
Buyer beware of northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company copies. Buy original, buy the Granberg!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

sealark37

Elloff (sp) Granberg invented the chain saw mill.  His various designs are the result of his own experience and needs for lumber in remote places.  Any successful CSM is going to imitate his design to some degree.  As far as I know, Granberg mills and accessories are manufactured in the USA.  You takes your choice and pays your money.  Regards, Clark

pabst79

I know I wouldn't want my saw screaming along attached to a piece of Chinese junk, I've had good luck with my Alaskan small and mini mill from Granberg, they stand behind their products and are made in the USA. As stated by others, northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sells lots of cheap knockoff equipment, where safety is a concern, why chance it, go with the better brand. ;)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

mad murdock

If money is the issue, buy Granberg, they stand behind everything they sell, and they know how to get the most out of their design, with a staff of knowledgeable folks to answer any question you could have. They also sell all the piece parts to any of their mills. Upgrading with their products is a breeze. None of the aforementioned points could probably be stated about the cheep Chinese knockoff artists at nte.  Everything granberg sells is tested and proven.  There is a lot more to value tan just saving a few bucks on the initial purchase price. Fwiw.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!