iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

don't buy replacement Husky 272 chain brake handle/covers

Started by rebocardo, September 28, 2008, 10:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

Don't buy the replacement Husky 272 chain brake handle/covers, they are made of doll plastic!  >:(

I thought it felt chintzy and it was hard to set and unset the hand brake.

Well, I didn't even get a whole day's worth out of mine before it MELTED.

I was ripping some 48" x 12" rounds I dropped off at a customer's house from a tree I cut up earlier so we could fit them onto her splitter. The hand brake melted from being near the exhaust and the pin popped out. When I tried to unset the brake the handle twisted and I couldn't even unset the brake to get the cover off so I could remove the bar.  :(

The plastic for the handle at the pivot/attachment point is at least 2x if not 3x -> THINNER <- then the stock Husky cover. I will have to mic it later. Plus, the plastic is softer then the Husky plastic, about as sturdy as doll plastic. In short, total junk.

Why total junk, well the tension coil spring is so thick it has to be 3x the diameter of the Husky spring. Which is why it was so hard to set and unset the hand brake.

I ordered a cover because the parts for attaching the band on the OEM cover was broken, so I luckily kept the cover so I could compare apples to horse droppings. Maybe I will use the junk's parts I needed on my OEM Husky cover, but, I will probably just be wasting my time and have the junk's parts break inside the Husky cover.   ::)

Worse, I lost $40 because I was not able to finish (all I had with me was my Husky 272 and MS-250) and now I will eventually have to go back to finish < 1.5 hours worth of work with gas at $4.20 a gallon.   :(

Rocky_J

The least you could do is say where you got the aftermarket Chinese replacement part. I'm assuming it wasn't an OEM Husqvarna part.

On some stuff I'll buy the cheap aftermarket parts, on others I specify OEM.

And being a 10+ year old saw (the 272 isn't the same as the newer 372), OEM parts may be difficult to find.

Thank You Sponsors!