iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loblolly Christmas Tree?

Started by scsmith42, December 13, 2009, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Wow! $200 bucks?

:D :D

My uncle was selling trees a few years back for a local tree grower. He is located on a busy highway. He sold them for $15 and the odd person wanted delivery, within 4 miles. He would show up at the house with the tree. First question asked by the recipient was often, "where is the stand?". Sometimes they even wanted it decorated. Often he would see a house full of kids that basically had nothing, so the tree was free, he took the loss for the grower. My uncle's cut was only $5, when he got paid.  ::) :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

old joe

Many years ago,when my kids were small, we lived in south Florida.  My wife and I worked hard, but made very little income.  Trees were 60 or 70 dollars for even a small one.  We tacked our old lights and decorations to a wall, in the shape of a Christmas tree,only flat.  Our kids had a pretty good  Christmas that year  anyway.  Now I dig up a small ERC and plant it along the drive afterwards
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Dodgy Loner

Home Depot and Lowe's sell 7-8 footers for $50, and 10-11 footers for $110. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a 14 footer for $200. Our 4-H Club (which I am in charge of) sells Christmas trees as a fundraiser, and our prices were more like $30 for an 8-foot tree and $50 for an 11-foot tree. Still had trouble getting them all sold. The sad thing is, I know that Home Depot and Lowe's don't pay more than $20 for any tree they sell ::)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

pigman

Well, we put up our Christmas tree today. We would have put it up earlier, but we don't like for the tree to dry out and shed too much.  We have always used  red cedar trees, but for the first time, because of health issues not counting lazyness, we put up one of those metal and plastic things. I hate the thing. It took my wife and myself over two hours to get it placed like we wanted. Yes, it went together in about ten minutes, but we spent the rest of the time trying to find the bad side so we could put it against the wall. It was a good thing the metal base was smooth or I would have drilled a hole in the floor turning the tree. Next year I think we will go back to a real Christmas tree. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

I heard a story last night that someone's husband was getting very frustrated with a batch of bad tree stands, and finally (after returning two) he just screwed it to the floor through the carpeting.  I recall times when I wish I had thought of that.  ;D ;D

I went into our great room today to water our tree (up for a week, but no lights on yet) and the stand was a solid block of ice. So I started a fire in the wood stove so I can put lights on tomorrow..   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

We bought a tree from the despot this year. Have done that for the last three years. We used to buy lving trees and plant them when we lived in central Texas. Not many pines there. I put up the tree and we decorated it just before I left to come back to work. It will still be up when I get home in the middle of January. We'll celebrate our Chrismas then. Lindy is spoiled and gotten a real or live tree every year since we got married 33 years ago. The living trees we used to get had little to no smell, so I would stop by the tree stands and get cut off branches from them to make garland and such. They were always more than happy to give it away so they wouldn't have to pay to dump it. maybe I can get Lindy to send me a picture to post.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Rocky_Ranger

Back when I was in the business of growing Christmas trees one of the prettiest trees to be had was a loblolly that had been shaped and "colored".  They were beautiful, but not all lobs made a Christmas tree.  They are bred to grow up – not out.  The giving trees away SD mentioned was something I also did, any disabled Vet got theirs for free – they already paid for it many times over.  I was real good a growing them but not too good at selling them, I usually turned that over to the kids.  I used the four kids and a van discount, blonde discount ('nuff said), fair weather discount, etc.  The kids would just slap the measuring stick up and get kind'a close, add a half foot, and charge the full price.  One day during a Dang storm the money box blew over and I lost a $100 bill in the wind.  Oh well, that's farming.......
RETIRED!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2009, 05:59:18 PM
I went into our great room today to water our tree (up for a week, but no lights on yet) and the stand was a solid block of ice. So I started a fire in the wood stove so I can put lights on tomorrow..   ;D ;D

And you guys thought igloos were in the far north.  ::) :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!