iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jumping in

Started by hopm, November 21, 2017, 07:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

Had my mill for awhile and am comfortable in use, but as far as charging or selling it's a different story. Everything has generally been for folks I know and just helping them out. Had a guy call and ask if I would cut some cedar for him. I told him I would be glad to. He brought it today. 29 logs.....16'....he wants them cut to 8' and sawed in 6"x6", 4"x6", and 4/4.

Any suggestions on charging?
Any guidance to get going would be greatly appreciated!!

DPatton

Your profile doesn't tell us your location so were not able to make an assumption of what type of cedar logs your planning to saw. I'm sure there will soon be much more experienced members than me that will offer sound advice on how to charge but I would advise you to decide on a fair hourly rate and charge by the hour if the logs are eastern red cedar.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Sixacresand

How about 35-40 cents per board foot for milling if he helps.  Additional cost for blades for nail strikes, chainsaw work and log handling.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

There are tons of threads on charging so I'd suggest you use the search mode and look through them.

It looks like you are talking about sawing at your site. Besides your mill what other equipment of yours are you going to be using? Be sure you incorporate all your equipment, time, facilities and materials you will be using in your pricing. Be flexible in your pricing so you are fair to yourself and your customers. If you are providing a service others can't or don't provide in your area be sure to include that in your pricing scheme. I check them but make sure I never charge less than the box stores as I make sure to provide better lumber/services than they do.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

WOW, Somebody has done went and dropped off 29 logs and didn't ask a price on cutting them. It sounds like the sky is the limit. lol

In all seriousness though, word of mouth is sometimes the very best advertisement, make your money that you need to be profitable, but treat them fair and more will come.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

firefighter ontheside

I just got my mill and am still setting it up.  I've read numerous threads about what to charge.  I'm inclined to charge by the hour if they help and by the board foot if they leave logs and pick up lumber.  Haven't decided on those prices.  I would think I'll charge something for blades.  I would say if I hit metal I charge for a new blade, otherwise charge for sharpening of each blade I use.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Chuck White

I think I would charge an hourly rate when sawing Cedar!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 21, 2017, 08:32:28 PM
    I check them but make sure I never charge less than the box stores as I make sure to provide better lumber/services than they do.
:)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Brad_bb

Like in the other recent thread, all terms should be established before you even start your mill (should have been before he dropped the logs off).  Everything should be explicit, friends or not.  Timeframe for payment and pick up, blade charges, specific pricing. It's up to you to figure out your expenses and costs in your areas and determine what you need to make money that is acceptable to you.   
"I guess a lesson to be learned here, is to outline ALL of one's terms PRIOR to committing to the job: pay rate, delivery timeline, terms of payment, etc."  -PA_Walnut.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Of course I only "portable custom saw" but before any sawing begins the customer and I review and both sign my Sawing Contract which details setup, sawing, help, charges, and an accident disclaimer.  It is done in duplicate and both of us get a signed copy.

Of course this can be changed/modified to meet your sawing conditions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!