iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

checks, splits, cracks and warps

Started by ljmathias, December 16, 2010, 09:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

I know, sounds like a song from the old, "this sure don't look like Kansas, Toto" movie... :)  Thought it might be fun to see what pictures you all have of wood that moves around during drying.  I've seen some doozies, and I'll have to take the camera out to get pics of some of the pine and sweet gum "artistic" pieces I've been "given" by Mother Nature- she certainly has a way with wood!   ???

Anyway, here's a hickory plank I sawed out a year or so ago- had it unstickered, air drying standing up.  I don't think stickering would have stopped this.  Now if I can just figure out something neat to do with it. ???

This shows the end with just a little checking- not too bad, and I could have worked around this except for what happened in the next picture...

And just for scale, I put my size 9 and 1/2 tennis shoe in the split...

Ok, anyone else want to share some of their "best" splits and checks?  Love to see more, just to learn how badly wood can misbehave.  Thanks all, and have a great Christmas holiday! :) :) :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

tyb525

I don't like to take pictures of the mistake pieces ::) :D

I've seen boards warp so that the ends were 2 feet higher than the middle, I've seen boards twist so that the ends were 90 degrees to each other. Note the worst boards weren't in a stack ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Den Socling

Did you ever see some serious honeycomb? This is a piece of Red Beech from New Zealand. And this piece is not unusual.

SwampDonkey

I've got some cherry with surface checks. A condition I've learned is a result of rough lumber having ridges that dry faster and carry into the piece and pretty much ruin it for fine work.  ::) This was only in 6 x 6 cants for the most part. A good lot of it will only be good for tool handles like chisels and gouges. Not much for leg work and I had 8 of these cants for years air drying. Some of the issue was a result of boxed heart. Some checks opened up an inch wide near the pith and not all pith was centred with shims when sawed. It's amazing how much nice firewood I got out of that mess. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

I sawed up a relatively small Bluegum Eucalyptus a few years back.

This is how most of it dried....

I was able to salvage quite a bit of it though, and build a few things. What stayed straight and in one piece was great wood, very hard and strong, but a lot of time cutting around checks and a lot of planer shavings getting things flat again.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ljmathias

Wow, beautiful grain and finish on that little cabinet- got to build one myself although I'll need most of it open so the grandkids can get into everything stored there- better to let them see what they're getting rather than hide it behind doors and make it more interesting.   :)

I'm going to use some of the cedar I've already got cut and ready to plane- got some blemishes and in-grown bark but heck, it's not going to be structural anyway.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

SwampDonkey

Here's one of those surface checks that appeared over night on this piece. From the thumb, out to the end.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!