iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken or Egg

Started by WranglerSS, October 13, 2016, 10:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WranglerSS

I pick up my new WM LT28 on November 3rd and the first project I plan to build is the VT Solar Kiln with the lumber I mill. I have read that for outdoor projects it is best to fell, mill and hang the lumber green and let it dry on the build project. Will that be the case with the kiln or should I use dry lumber for the framing?
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Undried lumber is ok, except that it will warp as it dries in-place, especially southern pine.  You may need to replace some pieces.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

Besides that, it is heavy stuff to work with.

YellowHammer

Sounds familiar, that's pretty much what I did, also.  However, I wasn't sure how moist the floor was going to get, so framed it out of pressure treated store bought.  The siding, studs, rafters, etc was off the mill, still pretty green, for the most part. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

I have built a couple buildings like the way you have. Cut the tree and saw lumber and build with it all within a few hours. But these was all out buildings,sheds. No insulation was trapping the moisture in. I myself would let the building sit for 6 months??? than put the insulation to it??? I do know even a month makes a difference in drying. I had a friend help me put up some 2x8X14 hemlock right off the mill. These was a full 2x8 too. Than I had some that I had stickered for about a month. He liked them alot better,much drier. I would not want to trap any moisture in a building or between the insulation.
Good luck with the LT28. You will enjoy sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WranglerSS

Good point on trapping moisture.  I think I'll sticker it and let it air dry for a while first.
Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

Thank You Sponsors!