iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sweetgum end table

Started by wfontjr, May 19, 2013, 08:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfontjr

milled some sweetgum last summer, finished a endtable this weekend.

clww

That looks great with all the different colors. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sonofman

That looks really great. One question though, is it already got a finish on it or not. If it does not, are you going to darken it some or leave it like it is. The different colors look nice, but personally I would like it a little darker.
Located due west of Due West.

wfontjr

so far two coats of waterbased polyurethane

WDH

Way to go!  That looks very nice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

One thing that is so unique about Sweetgum is that the white is so very white, and that makes such a contrast with the darker streaks and heartwood.  That table is beautiful.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 19, 2013, 09:35:04 PM
One thing that is so unique about Sweetgum is that the white is so very white, and that makes such a contrast with the darker streaks and heartwood.  That table is beautiful.

Wow Magic.....are you changing you're attitude toward SWEET GUM?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Oh no.  I never said that it was not a pretty wood, and makes beautiful furniture.  I just said that I hates it as a tree.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wfontjr

im not crazy about it as a tree either, I have a few acres I may retire on some day, have spent the last 8 years clearing, burned a lot of it as firewood, I bought a mill 2 years ago to mill some of the pine I am clearing out for future homesite, deerstands, etc., thought I might experiment with some of the sweetgum, most of it had a lot of twist after drying

Lud

Good contrast in the wood.   What finish?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

wfontjr

satin water based polyurethane

mesquite buckeye

They are pretty trees with great fall color. I paid money for seedlings when I reforested. Don't think I'll be around when it is time to cut them, but based upon your super cool table, I'm glad I planted them for one more reason. ;D 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on May 19, 2013, 10:50:17 PM
Oh no.  I never said that it was not a pretty wood, and makes beautiful furniture.  I just said that I hates it as a tree.
Magic don't you mean weed? My land is ate up with sweetgum. With I had a dollar for every sweet gum sapling my brush hog has mowed over.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

downsouth

I agree with jake, they are everywhere here. Almost as bad as a talo (tallo?) tree. Cut one down and next year five more grow out the roots. But that Is a fine looking table. Great job

Thank You Sponsors!