iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year, '23-'24

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2023, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRANITEstateMP, newoodguy78, Resonator and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hilltop366

Yes John that is what I'm thinking of, like this except more ground clearance.

If you can get enough on one load the 5 mile round trip will be a nice break, probably not much different time wise than back and forth with only a few logs and moving them to the trailer only to have to unload them from the trailer later. Or could stage the full racks at Bills and move them home later. 

Used pallet forks are not impossible to find around here but usually old pallet jacks are easier to find. 

aigheadish

Oh man. The skill of putting those forks into the pallet from an atv, goodness sakes. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

JD Guy

Need to have a front hitch. Much more gooder ffwave

thecfarm

Just a thinking here. 
Have a small 30hp tractor? Could put some in the bucket and then on the 3PT hitch too. The best part about the bucket and the 3 PT is, it can be lowered and raised to make it easier for you.
Still can't haul a lot, but probably as much as you are now with that mule.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Well I turned my back for a few hours and that sort of took off in an unexpected direction to exponential extents. ffcheesy
 All those ideas are good ones and focused on the uses for which they were designed. They also have elements that interest me, but most are too wide or two awkward to thread between and around trees. 
 I did find KBeitz's rig and that is pretty neat an well designed for it's use. That would be a HUGE help for me with firewood and MIGHT be modified for doing logs (much narrower to start) but would be a dedicated project with a lot of steel I don't have. Right now I really want to get this season done, mellow out and think on it.
 I booked and paid for my first show tonight, just 2 weeks away and I am panicking to get the trailer done and my stock ready.
 I went and cut in the rain today to keep things moving. I have 50 logs on the ground to be picked up and loaded tomorrow, 3 more trees I can cut, and a helper coming plus 30 logs here in the yard. The rain finally pushed me out. We'll see what we can get done tomorrow.
 I went to Home Despot to get some shelf brackets for the trailer and some other stuff and while I was in there I got a call from one of my new clients that picked up his logs about a week ago. He sounded apologetic and weird. I thought he was going to have a complaint about his logs. Turns out he wanted to know if he could 'possibly' get 20 more logs. ffcheesy Well, I REALLY don't want another order, even a small one. But these guys were very nice, we had a good time talking and I want to help them out, so sure, why not? I need to get these in by the end of the month. I am easy with good clients. Maybe too easy, but I do like these fellas, they are just trying to make their business work.
  I worked in the trailer this morning and made more progress before going out to cut. Gonna have to step that up a bit though to make this all come together on time. I just realized tonight that today was the LogRite open house. Wow, that blew right by me. Weeks ago I had thought I might be ready to make that as a show, but I guess I blew that. :wacky:
-----------------------
 Anyway, I texted Bill this evening and asked if he could move his pickup before I get there in the morning, it's parked in our access. He called me and asked which truck and in the course of our rambling conversation I asked what he did today after ballet lessons (for Inga). He said the bobcat dealership had an open house and an excavator rodeo (which he won) and they had a great time. He also bought another excavator. Not a big surprise, he has 5 now (I think) and is always buying stuff. I asked what size? He said " OH, I got another little one". Like the mini-ex that looks like a toy? "Yeah" he says, "but smaller". I am thinking, I didn't know they made one smaller and ask "Does it have a thumb?!" "Of course, do you want to see it? C'mon out, we'll be passing your place in 2 minutes." Now I am getting suspicious. I know he is driving the little electric shoe box, I saw them go out this morning. He does have a trailer hitch on it, but he is not pulling a real trailer with a machine on it, he can't be, right? Then I figure it out, We played the same trick on one of his guys when we were up at boonville and texted and asked if they needed anything from Husky and his guy asked for a new (Zero-turn) mower. We bought him a Husky plastic toy mower.
 SO I walked out across my puddled lawn in snotty weather getting my moccasins wet. Sure enough:
IMG_20240413_194221614_BURST001.jpg

Yeah, he had me going for a minute. I know his tiny mini-ex is a very popular machine with his guys, quite handy. But he had me for a minute. One must understand that we have had the same conversation several times, but when he stopped in front of the house he had something big, like a school bus, or a skidder bucket, a(nother) dozer, or another excavator (a few times), or some such other thing.
 This is the little world I live in.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

yeah Tom.  Remember the young child with the acl tear that I made the dog step for.  not that hard!   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy   sure wish you were going to be at the project.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Well short of just not cutting mushroom logs it was the cheapest idea that I could come up with that would significantly reduce log handling and use the rest of your current equipment.  ffsmiley

Old Greenhorn

Well, today was pretty unique in my experience. I got help with my logs from a Unicorn. In this case a unicorn in this case is defined as a young man with a strong back, some experience in the woods, common sense, and is not new to hard work, nor afraid of it. Yes, they are pretty rare and I had one for the day. ffcool
 He arrived just 10 minutes late, but texted me as soon as he realized he would be late. I put him in my truck and I drove the Mule down to the woods, he followed. We hooked up my trailer and got it closer, sis a little bit of trail clearing and I gave him some Mule training and he drove it the rest of the day. I have 50 logs already on the ground so we loaded and shuttle them out to the trailer, then back again. By the third round, I let him do that on his own and I set up another tree and dropped it. We winched it out to where we could buck it. He loaded it and moved it onto the trailer. Bill got out the bucket skidder and he and Inga hunting some pull ropes on a couple of tricky trees with expo$ure. Took those down, bucked and shuttled out and on the last load the rain started to come in. SO we got out of the woods and debated, then decided to take a decent WO near the driveway that needed to leave. It had a decent (for me) saw log on it, maybe 18" on the stump and another 15 or more logs. The rain began again but with more commitment and we knocked off and headed home with 92 logs on the trailer.
 I think this is the ultimate solution.  ffcheesy Get a Unicorn and you can really make some time. My unicorn is anxious to came back and do some more, he had a great time and enjoyed the work and learning new tricks. I enjoyed it too. and being able to put in several hours more on the trailer after I got instead of an involuntary nap was a big bonus. ffcool

I am not certain, but I think I have all my orders filled, but more trees to cut yet.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

thecfarm

Just an extra pair of hands is a big help!!!
I work alone and it's slow.
I saw the wood for firewood and then stop and throw it into the loader and then go dump it. Then repeat.
Now if I could saw all the time...........
As I say, I can see why my Father liked me around all the time.  :wacky:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

It is too easy to take a break working alone.  get on the FF.  when I am paying a couple guys, I feel like I need to feed them wood to keep things going and make it worth my while.  especially my son and a friend or two.  want them to see how work gets done.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Tom even the order for a thousand logs?  or did he flake out and say "only kid din".  Nice job.  glad you found the unicorn.  Is he the one you milled some stuff for? 

SawyerTed

Every once in a while I run across a young person who appreciates an OG.  

"OG" - "original gansta" in the vernacular of the current "rap" generations.  

In English OG means an authentic, knowledgeable, experienced expert.  

For most of us it just means "old guy." 

I'm a firm believer in every young person's life they need an old guy at some point.  Sometimes it's a grandpa, an uncle, a family friend, an employer or co-worker.

Sometimes OG means Old Greenhorn... ffsmiley
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

No argument Ray, I work alone almost all the time and it just takes a lot of time to keep jumping from one thing to another. But, you can get used to it and just keep plugging and eventually it gets done.
Doc, I am familiar with that too, but the nice thing about today was that I was calling the shots on the timing and pace and my Unicorn (Jacob, I call him because that's what his parents named him) fell easily into it. I'll bet he never even broke a sweat. IU came home relaxed and unharmed or exhausted. But I have also thrown in with Bill's crew on several jobs and I am always shot at the end of the job from trying to keep up with them and maintain their pace. I'm not 35 anymore and it shows.
It was just such a pleasure to have that today when I really needed to make some time and catch up. Sure I'm tired, but dang happy about it and I don't need to recover tomorrow. I just wish my arms weren't cherry red again. I am nearly out of cortisone cream. 3 tubes so far this season.
Tomorrow I am gonna get serious on that trailer. :wink_2:

Doc I never accepted that 1,000 log order, it came in too late and there was no way I could make it with the other orders. He is the guy I promised 100 logs too to get him started and I finished his order today. But now he is waffling on pickup and other 'things'. He is my one 'high maintenance' client this season and he is wearing me out with his indirect and incomplete communications that leave me confused about what he means or what he intends. Hopefully he is a one shot client.

Ted, Jake is a good kid. I've known him since he was about 14 or so. He is out of college and working now painting backdrops for Broadway shows and stuff like that. He has a lot of skills and is fun to work with and very intelligent. I was lucky to have him for a day and he still owes me a half a day as he reminded me. ffcheesy

Resonator

Quote"OG" - "original gansta" in the vernacular of the current "rap" generations. 

Tom has earned the title of THE OG Mushroom Logger. ffcool ffsmiley
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Res, it sounds strange to admit this but I really wish I had some competition so I could refer clients to them and take a little load off of me when I need it. Either that, or I am going to have to run an apprentice program, getting some of these buyers to come in and work with me for a day and get a discount on their logs, which is an idea I am working on in my little head.
------------------------------------------
So Monday was full out on the trailer, discussed in that other thread, yesterday was pretty much also the same, but with distractions on show planning and looking over where I stand. The weather was SO nice that I may have been distracted and just spent some time sitting and thinking of my way forward.
Today was the monthly food shopping trip, which kills a half day. I got and hour or two messing around before we went though and finally got the work around 1pm. I started in on the trailer re-doing the securing system, got that done, did some decal work, then started in the shop and built up a Loginator for a client that is hopefully picking up his logs Friday. By the time I finished that, it was quitting time, but I need to keep moving on merch. I have a set of park bench legs and back. I figured I MIGHT be able to do the wood up and re-finish the legs and back in time for this show if I get my act together. I have about 5 projects/products I would like to finish and get ready for the show, which I figure I have about 7 more days to do. I'd also like to make some lower end benches to have on hand, which adds to the load.
It's not all going to happen, I know, but I'd like to give it my best shot and see how far I can get. The park bench is not likely to happen because it requires a painting technique I have no idea how to do, or where to look for help, but I will work on that too. Tomorrow is a rain out, so I'll heat up the shop and dig into it.
It's another day, let's see what I can pull off, or not while everyone is headed to The PrOject.

Edit to add: I came in just in time tonight to call in my 'annual" order to Madsen's. I was cash poor last year in the fall when I usually do this and let it slide. But I need some new jeans, a clean new shirt, and the the usual supplies that I am running out of like wedges, flagging, crayons, socks, etc. So it was nice to be able to just do that, and hopefully I will have some newer clothes for the shows as well as replacement supplies in my tool bags for the work. I like buying from Madsen's but they are still very old school. No emails, no tracking numbers, no online orders. You just call and talk to a salesperson, he can answer ANY questions to you have about the gear, and then he says "OK we'll get that right off to you" but I have no idea what the total cost is or what the shipping cost is. I just have to trust them. But I'm OK with that. I actually wish we had more 'Madsen's' in this world instead of Amazon's.

Old Greenhorn

Today was a nasty snotty day, as predicted, it drizzled all day and we had about 45° for a high temp. I had to start a fire in the shop and unlike the past week or so, I had to keep that fire all day to keep the shop comfortable for working.
 I finished off a sewing machine leg table after opening up the top mounting holes on the legs and messing with it for a while to get it right. That's ready for the trailer, although I don't know yet if I want to show two at once.
 Then I stated back to work on boxes. I have an order in hand for 6 cremation boxes and I had them done except for the top screws. I also need boxes or at least samples for the shows. (I have lots of parts ready to assemble when I need more.) I had ordered the screws months ago and made a better jig for drilling the holes, but I just never did the holes, it's a multi step prOcess. I drill the holes in each and with the jig using the tap drill size, then I remove the top and open the holes in the box to a screw clearance size, then I tap the holes in the top  and test assemble. I had made some minor adjustments in my machining prOcesses that made things work mush easier this time and I like these a lot batter than the last batches. Still, it took a few hours to do all the hand work. While I was at it I also pulled out the keepsake boxes I made and looked them over. It seems the very fine sawdust in the air has gotten on everything in the building and makes these look terrible. So I have to find bags for each of these and wipe them all down with mineral spirits tomorrow and bag them immediately to keep them clean. The I have to box up and ship my order and get the others packed in the trailer. Might need to make some more crates.
 I also found that little stool I made with a chainsaw, warts and all, it's kind of cute and I thought I would throw it in show stock and put a $25. tag on it and see what happens. ffcheesy It's ugly, but functional.
 I hot glued in the glass in one of my cookie mirrors and will dress that up and pack it tomorrow, might start another one, but no rush, I have two to sell. The goal here is to fill the trailer.
 So tomorrow I will clean and pack those boxes and also work on the shipment. Then I will turn my attention to some lower end benches. I have several slabs, these are full live edge, meaning first cut off the log, that I started making 4 years ago and never finished. I brought one in the shop and think I will whack it in half and make two shorter benches out if it. I also have a couple of 3" thick flat pine slabs and will try to make a bench/table out of one of them. They all require a bunch of sanding and finishing work, so that will keep me busy and out of trouble. I figure when I get them under control and am just waiting for finishes to dry I can work on that park bench which I do not expect to have done in time for the first show next weekend since I have no idea how I will do the painting on the legs yet. ffcheesy 
 I have my days planned up full mostly to keep my mind off the PrOject I am missing.
 I kept in touch by text with several of the fellas as they made their way to Rentz. I am hopeful that everyone arrives safely and in good humor and enjoys a fine time. I am certain I am missing the assembled crew more than they might miss me and those folks are all on my mind.  I envy them the fine time to be had (I also wouldn't mind a little bit of those 85° temps they will get, geez!)
 Ah well, tomorrow is another day, I just gotta stay busy and stop fretting over what ain't.

Nebraska

Last year I  had planned on going to Georgia this spring but can't for a couple work reasons.  :uhoh:

Old Greenhorn

What's that expression? "If you want to make God laugh, just try making plans." ffcheesy
 As I told Jake the other day, in one way I am a little glad I could not make it because I have so much work to get done this week and the non-winter weather really pushed out my log harvest big time. I have a log client coming for pickup in a few hours. I have al the previous work mentioned too and I just could not leave all this to travel. Next year I need a better plan. Gotta take care of business. :wink_2:
 I am happy that this morning the sun has dawned on the first full day of the PrOject and a lot of folks are gathering for a super good time.  I am (relatively) certain that Howard will survive Doc's 'stop the bleed' class, and a good time will be had by all. 

Old Greenhorn

Well the dun may have come up on the prOject, but never saw it here today. Drizzly, cool and snotty. As planned I did stay busy all day, had a new client come to pick up logs. Even though I told (warned) him he had a 3,000 pound load, he showed up with a little Ford ranger Pickup (SMH). He continues to be high maintenance with lots of questions and he could only fit 50 logs on his truck plus the Loginator. He wanted to know how long the paint on the Loginator would last outdoors and what kind of paint did I use? He had lots of questions that seemed to imply I might could have done things better, but I pointed out that this is why I ask all those questions at the time of order which he did not answer accurately. I still have 72 more logs he can take, but he is not sure what truck he will be bringing. He says he will be back tomorrow. Tonight he called me and asked if these logs were organic and could he get some paperwork on that for his records. Well this should have been one of his first questions 2 months ago, not after you have already drilled 50 logs then thought to ask. No problem, I write the letter for him tonight, another 45 minutes shot. Lots of questions and lots of time. (This is the guy that wanted 1,000 logs, BTW). He is wearing me out, but his cash does help that a bit. ffcheesy Hopefully, somehow, we will finish him off tomorrow. But I will have to move my still half loaded trailer before he gets here, I have some firewood coming and it's in the way.
 My re-order client for 20 logs bailed out on his order today (canceled) so I am holding the bag on those. If I can't sell then to this current client, then they will either get donated to a few needy growers I know ort become firewood. I would actually rather see them get inoculated, then use them for my own firewood. Seems like a better use after all that work.
---------------------------------------
 I spent quite a bit of time cleaning all my little boxes to look pretty and bagging them. I have a bunch packed for the shows and also put together a shipment. This time using 1" foam insulation as padding. Maybe UPS won't damage any of them this time. :wink_2:
 That all took more time that you or I would have thought, but it's done and I have another box of stuff for the trailer. Somehow I needed an involuntary nap after lunch. I folded a bunch of brochures for the shows and have a bunch more to do yet. Then I finally started working on thinking about starting on some rustic benches. I'd like to try to get those leg angles a little better so I messed around with a drill guide jig I have, but that only indexes every 15° and that's too much. So I looked at it and thought about it and figured out a way I can get the 5° tilt I want. I'll do that 'adjustment' tomorrow. This next bench I think I am going to try Doc's blind wedges because it's a 3" slab of wood. It's a crap shoot if I pull this off in time to make the trailer, we'll see.
 I cam in form the shop at 6pm with a list of signage and price labels to make up, never got to it.... yet. I was on correspondence, answering phone calls, organic certifications, and other stuff until almost 9.
 Quitting time. Tomorrow is another day, but I can't help thinking there are a pleasant crowd of folks down in Georgia at this very minute sitting in lawn chairs and watching a slab pile burn right about now and having some good conversations. My thoughts are with them for a fine weekend.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I did survive the Stop the Bleed class (which was excellent BTW). We miss you here and I know your ears are burning. I can verify that Jake knows how to quickly and efficiently load a big pallet of long lumber on to a high sided trailer.

I will see in a few hours if there is any hope of "larnin" Doc how to make a bench but I figure no matter how bad it wobbles we can fix it on Jakes mill. The bench we made last year is still there under the shed and still sitting there although it has weathered in color a little it is still sound as the day we built it.

Robert has pretty much ID'd my mystery wood as Butternut which is in keeping with our available species and where it was growing.

If I don't reply or comment for a few days it is just because I may not have internet while I visit some family for the rest of the trip but I'll catch up with you and your Organic, Hippy type mushroom log customer with his undersized (Was it Electric) p/U and such. That is unless I hear on the news about a murder in upstate NY and realize he pushed you over the edge. ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 20, 2024, 02:44:29 AMI hear on the news about a murder in upstate NY and realize he pushed you over the edge. ffcheesy
ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy :thumbsup:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I'll make no promises, but we will see how it goes when he returns today. I have other stuff to do and if he screws up my schedule or doesn't show until 3pm, we are gonna have a talk.

trimguy

A certification letter sounds like it should cost extra.

Old Greenhorn

Well it's not really a certification, it's more of an affidavit. Not a big deal, but if a person is looking for chemical free logs, you'd think they would ask that up front, not after they drilled 50 logs. :huh?  
 He didn't show up yesterday, BUT he did let me know early in the morning and made arrangements for another day. I sense that this fella is joust not well organized.
 I will wind up with 20 or more logs on hand and I am seriously considering drilling them myself and throwing a few in the trailer for shows. It's another thing to do and more stuff to buy, but it is part of the evolution. Bill has the inoculation tool I can use, but I'll need a drill, spawn, wax, and labels. I also just sold my last Loginator 3 days ago. ffcheesy So, I'll have to do these without one. Ironic, ain't it? ffcheesy But I can sell inoculated logs for $25 bucks a pop, so there is that. So 20 logs is $500 before expenses. Or if they don't sell, there are mushrooms to market. :wink_2:
-----------------------------
 Full day today, out in the shop by 7, popped in a fire. Damp and overcast AGAIN. I have two slab benches I can make , hopefully in time for the show and I drilled both slabs for legs, put a coat of poly on the bottom of one while I worked on the other, did some sanding, edge finishing up, fitted up the legs. Glued the legs on the one with through holes while waiting for the poly to get 'sort of' cured up on the other. Brought some more stuff out to the trailer and don't remember what else I messed with in there. But I did realize I needed to do a bunch of work on pricing the new stuff, making price tag labels and better description cards on the higher end stuff. (From my notes from last year. Also my inventory spreadsheet is way out of date. So after I glues stuff, I came in and worked on that stuff. Paperwork always takes a longer time than I want and I ain't done with it yet. I folded up about 100 brochures. Hopefully this will set me up for the season when I get it all done.
 I took the wife out to dinner, then went back in the shop for another couple of hours. I flush cut the tops off the legs on the through hole bench and filled some tiny glue holes. I also glued the legs on the blind hole bench. I have not decided how I will cut these legs off yet. I am conflicted on that issue just now. ffcheesy It's too late in the day for big decisions and I am really tired. Can't seem to keep my eyes open. Think I'll be in bed in a half hour.
 I hope everybody at the PrOject made/makes it home safe and happy, sound to me like a good time was had by all. ffsmiley
 Tomorrow is another day, gotta keep moving, still a lot to do by Friday.

Thank You Sponsors!