iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Think i finally got my mill/mills

Started by Taylortractornut, March 01, 2012, 08:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylortractornut

I started out looking at a WM and then a Baker but  the WM owner woulod be about 10 months till he was done sawing.     THe baker  was too much with too many problems.    I  got to watching Circle mills on you tube and  thought I would like a smaller one.     I have a friend that was telling me about some he   had but probably wont be setting them up as hes gettin in bad shape.    One is a smaller  tie/farm mill.   about a 20 foot track.   One is a medium and one is a larger mill.    One power unit is there an old U6 IH.     Hes orking out a price on the three saying he would like to see them all go to one owner.   The carriages and setworks are all there.      One carriage is all steel.    And three arbors one with divisions  marked on them.    Im going tomorrow to get a look at them    I basically know nothing about them.     If they are pretty complete and the price is right Im bagging them.   

Im pretty sure I want to set them  up with  a steel frame under the track and on concrete  peirs.     One question is how do the set works feed out.  In inches or fractions like 1/4  or 1/2  inches at a time.     im thinking about the medium mill.     THe big one has a rid one carriage and    I think would be too much for me to handle.   It will be sent to another owner if thats the case. 

My overload permit starts after sunset

dail_h

i might be interested in short mill if u get them,,,,mine blocks n all ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

bandmiller2

Taylor,sounds like a big project ahead,if you play your cards right you can have your mill sell the rest and end up with yours almost free.Is that old international the hermofidite model start on gas and run on diesel they were real common on old mills.Let us know what you have if you buy them.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Taylortractornut

The old U6  is a full Gasser six.      A UD prefix would have been a  gas starter.        I looked at the mills today and its 3 complete mills.   I do want to make the  carriages hydraulic to get rid of a few belts.      I wanted a band mill at first but after talking to a few old timers  I think while a few are left I want to get a circle mill back in the county.     I would like one Detroit power unit though just to be obnoxious lol.

I figured for the price I cant  put together a nice CSM at the moment.    I remeber as a kid dad took us to prentiss county to a mill that was making him some lumber.    I rememberthe big pile of dust the drag chain was making. 

inspectorwoody

QuoteI would like one Detroit power unit though just to be obnoxious .

:D :D :D

I sold the ol' Detroit off my old circle. Don't think I'll buy another. They run good though.

Taylortractornut

Got a neighbor's kid that woke the new baby up  a few nights ago  with his   "urban music "   just want a little pay back.   I have a 10 foot stack off an old backup   power unit.

thecfarm

While running the mill that will drown out the music.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sdunston

Quote from: Taylortractornut on March 03, 2012, 08:00:50 PM
The old U6  is a full Gasser six.      A UD prefix would have been a  gas starter.        I looked at the mills today and its 3 complete mills.   I do want to make the  carriages hydraulic to get rid of a few belts.      I wanted a band mill at first but after talking to a few old timers  I think while a few are left I want to get a circle mill back in the county.     I would like one Detroit power unit though just to be obnoxious lol.

I figured for the price I cant  put together a nice CSM at the moment.    I remeber as a kid dad took us to prentiss county to a mill that was making him some lumber.    I rememberthe big pile of dust the drag chain was making. 

The U6 was made from1938-1952 it was 4 cyl gas and 247cid @1500 rpm turned out 39hp
ref:150 years of IHC

Just did'nt want to think it was a 6cyl,Great engine same as "M" T6 W6
Sam 

WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bandmiller2

Those old engines are dandy on a mill because of their long stroke and torque.Their HP rateing does not due them justice, like the old Deere 2 cyl. tractors, compared to the new Kowayuppie diesels.Only problem it will have a serious petro-thirst. Frank C.

Taylortractornut

Its a sixer  I gues its a T6 then.     I did find a 4 cyclinder down the road  from it on an old sourgum mill.

Norm

We go to bed early and get up early. Inevitably some folks and usually relatives like to call up late. I don't answer it but make sure to call them back when I'm up early in the morning.  :D

sdunston

WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Meadows Miller

Gday

Taylor sounds like you got three for the price of one mate Its good to see im not the only young bloke that loves his circle mills  the bandmill boys dont know what they are missing  :) :( High Production Numbers and Low Dramas  ;) :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8) Like dad said to me the other day he is yet to see a little bit of trash in a log wipe out a circular saw  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Taylortractornut

Chris  I want one since theres none left in the area.  I may need to pick your knowlege abit on the Meadows.   The tag on the middle  mill is a Meadows Id tag.    from the looks of things theirs a 4th carriage and set works that may come inthe deal if I can trade for them to.        I found a little Detroit power unit  on a fresh rebuild.    Ive got the bug bad now  lol. 

Meadows Miller

:) :) You cant go wrong there can you ;)  smiley_thumbsup Whatever you need a hand with just give me a yell  ;) Jesi n I might even be able to duck up for abit and give you a hand with it too Mate   ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) You been to the Rattlesnake Saloon Im wanting to take her up there Its bloody Awesome Tim his Wife n I went there  :o ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

heres a question for you mate how much would it cost roughly there to get a kit thrown in a 453 GM labor only Mate ???

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Taylortractornut

Chris the best Detroit man hiere is down with surgery but i check and see what he will charge.  Hes top notch on th-e older dtroits and Cummins and Mack  jobs.     Hes in his 70's, One man he trained tough is also good on them Ill ask him this evening.     Both are  super mechanics though.       

Al_Smith

IH I think used the same engines for power units as they did for the respective sized crawlers and wheel tractors .Such as T6-T9  WD 6  WD 9  TD 6-TD 9 etc .

The T9- Td 9 were around 45 HP give or take and the T6  TD 6 size about a tad over 30 .I'm also pretty sure they were all 4 cylinders until you get to about TD 18-TD 24 size then they were 6 cylinder .

The TD 18 was IH's answer to a Cat 70-D7 and the TD 24 to a D8 .They most likely offered both sized engines as power units also .At one time IH made everything from deep freezes to big crawler tractors but they like so many circled the drain and became a part of history in the 80's when industries fell like a stack of dominos .

Ironically the very last tractor to be certified by the state of Nebraska ,test number 1551 was an IH 3088 .That was 1984 and coincidently was the end of IH as a prime manufacturer of farm equipment as a stand alone entity .

bandmiller2

Jeez Al,that almost brought tears to my eyes, big red was a real player in the ag. business my first two tractors a 300 utility and a farmall "C" were IH then I turned green and never looked back.Almost every town had a IH,JD,and MF dealer and still stocked parts,but that was old times. Frank C.

Al_Smith

To add to that most of those ag dealers sold chainsaws too .You  might find McCulloch at one and Homelite at the one down the road ,Pioneer or Remington at the next town .

Yep I remember them all ,Farmalls,Minnies ,AC ,Oliver .New Holland bailers when had engines on them .AC/Gleaner combines both pull types and 8 foot header self propelled with no cabs . A 4 bottom plow or a 12 foot disc was considered large .

A lot's changed over the years but the memory still lives on . :)

Thank You Sponsors!