Misfit

From Tallahassee Craigslist:

BEAUTIFUL RED CHERRY LOGS:

$200 Each

14.5' Long x 18" Diameter
14.5' Long x 16" Diameter
11.5' Long x 22" Diameter

Fresh Cut, Huge, Flawless, Straight.
All or Part, will cut to length desired.
Front End Loader Available, To Assist Loading.
You Haul.
EACH LOG $200

This is the 3rd time I've seen the ad posted in the past 2 weeks. Can't understand why no-one hasn't bought them yet. Am I missing something? Is the price too high?

Hope I didn't do a no-no by posting part of the ad.  :-\
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

mikeb1079

they sound nice but i wouldn't pay 200 a piece.  seems a bit high to me...
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

zopi

right around a buck a board foot, in the log? nah. maybe delivered locally and bloody well clear logs, few to no defects.

me, I have never bought a log, sooo...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cypresskayaksllc

Around here that is way too high. I would pay 100 bucks for all the logs.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

mikeb1079

QuoteI would pay 100 bucks for all the logs.

now that's more like it! :) 

i just can't bring myself to pay much more than a few bucks for a log when i know how much time, money, and labor is involved in turning it into anything even resembling a useful product.  i've noticed that most craigslist sellers don't get this.   :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

cypresskayaksllc

I checked out the ad youre talking about. Im not far from Tallahassee. From the picture it looks like there is one straight log. One has a crotch on one end and another has a bend. Maybe its just my eyes. I even think 100 bucks for all is probably too much to pay.

cypresskayaksllc

If I had a steady supply of these logs and a market I would pay more. I know 100 bucks is probably not worth a loggers time to get these logs, but I think these are a by product of something else.

DanG

Hey Canuck.  I don't know why I didn't realize before now that you're in Tallahassee.  I live only 35 miles away, but I'm in Tally right now.  I'll PM my phone # and maybe we can get together sometime soon. ;)  I'm always up for meeting new FF members.

Don't worry about those cherry logs.  At that price, they'll still be there when you get your mill. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

can't wait to find the clothesline screws in those....or those cute little nose and eyes folks nail to a tree...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

MHineman

Doyle rule shows about 500 ft total.  International rule about 550 ft total.  Discount for crotch and sweep to pay for about 450 ft.
  Cherry market has be weak to non-existent recently, but I am seeing more references to things being done in Cherry again.
  My guess would be about $225 for the 3 logs if you had a ready market.

1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

Misfit

Thanks for the replies and info guys. Dats why I loves dis place!   8)

PM'd ya back DanG. Would love to get together and see your mill.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Thank You Sponsors!