iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next job for us?

Started by OlJarhead, January 28, 2014, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Got these pics sent to me for a job locally

Not sure but I think those are cottonwoods -- I'm not that knowledgeable about different species yet

Guy likes my rates (hourly) and will load via tractor which is nice with those logs.  He wants the forks when possible and most of these are 15-22" in diameter.

Looks like a challenge (and a long weekend of work!)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

beenthere

Whatcha gonna try to make outta them?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jemclimber

I think he's sawing them for someone else so he's probably going to try to make $$$ out of them.   8)   Just teasing BT.  :D
From my little screen they look like walnut, but it's hard to tell, they could be cottonwood. I'm not sure what someone would want cottonwood crotches for, but to each his own. I hope the job goes well for you.  I think cottonwood makes nice looking paneling when it has figure.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.
lt15

arkansas

I would say mostly walnut too.  Could be wrong but sure does look like it.
Working on a hot LT40HD for now

OlJarhead

Hmmmm....Walnut would make me more $$$ that's for sure, but it would take a LOT longer on my LT10! lol

We did one Cherry that was 22"x39" (or so) and charged the guy two hours to do it (first job at $50/hr) and milled him the whole thing in 1x' part live sawn part 1x15"s as the log was just too unruly to stay put without making it into a CANT after a while..that log also required that I whittle it a bit with my chain saw and of course being that small was a bit tough to hold onto.  I think the job was 90 minutes and we replaced two blades.  One that got knocked off because a roller hit the log where it protruded out too far and one that just got dull.

My thinking is that 4-6 cuts on a Walnut log will 6-8 feet long will take me 20-30 minutes per log but that's a sheer guess.  I suspect I'd be going all weekend!

As for the end product, I think he wants to use the 3" slabs for table tops etc but I'll meet him on Saturday to find out.

dboyt

Glad you're working that job by the hour!  Clamping is going to be a real challenge on those pieces, but if you cut live edge lumber, you should get a fair yield.  I've had a few jobs like that, and the customer was thrilled, even though the milling came out to close to $2.00 per bd ft.  Looking forward to photos.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

OlJarhead

Turns out it's black walnut and he doesn't want the whole load done, just the longer and straighter pieces.

OlJarhead

Met with customer and it looks like the job will be 2-3 hrs of milling.  Going to mill the biggest stuff and then see how it goes.

Might get some walnut out of the deal.

drobertson

It should saw out pretty easy, I kinda like sawing walnut, just has a peculiar aroma,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

That plus it is neat to be able to watch the lumber color change, almost immediately.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Can't wait to get at it!  Just pulled the mill down off the mountain :)

OlJarhead

Hmmmm tried to post a vid from --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- but I guess I have to upload to youtube :(

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Chuck White

Looks like you're doing a fine job.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

justallan1

Great videos, Eric.
Didn't you upgrade to a bigger engine? I sawing some dried logs yesterday, thinking I sure need some more power. :D They came close to being called firewood.

Allan

OlJarhead

I upgraded to the 10hp option.  WM doesn't offer more power than that nut I could probably go bigger if I wanted...but if I am to do that it will be MUCH bigger!  Think LT40HD

OlJarhead

First log on the deck and getting milled.

Most of this stuff was live sawn and with many crooks and knots -- the gentlemen wanted unique stuff to make tables etc out of

I found the walnut not really that tough to mill.  It was tougher trying to get past the odd shapes!

Some logs were a real challenge on the this small mill

But we made it work ;)

The main customer is a local woodworker and shows and sells his stuff in a gallery, he's already looking to have some more trees milled...seems the $11/foot for planed walnut vs paying me to mill some for him has really gotten him into it.

I calculated just over 500 board feet milled in 3 hours so with a 1hr setup and at my rather cheap (still) $55/hr rate he got 533bf of black walnut for $220 or $0.41/bf

Ya, that's better than $11 ;)

Peter Drouin

Good job, But after a while milling you want more mill then more mill . so if you jump on a bigger mill jump high.  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Exactly Peter.  You do not want to have to upgrade again or retrofit options. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Happycamper

jarhead,
  Last summer I re powered my 10 with a 12 1/2 HP Briggs w/electric start 110V. The difference with this engine is quite noticible compared to the 10HP which I kept as a spare. The footprint is identical to the 10 so did not have to do anything but reinstall the four bolts to hold it in place.
                                Jim

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

OlJarhead

Thanks happy -- if I decide to just go bigger motor I'll try that.

So far the 10hp works pretty well for this small mill and I've produced good numbers with it but frankly, the next upgrade may well be something MUCH bigger ;)

OlJarhead

OH and I'm a 'real' sawyer now!  :D ;D

I'd left the log dogs up on the mill past the log I was milling......(and you know the rest right?)....

Two feet past the end of the log no less!!   Cut half way through a dog before I could stop the head!  BANG!  I was leaving the blade running, I do that a lot, and pushed the head well past the log to clear it for a roll....was going to shut down the band even (always do when rolling)....
Oopsie, no more band.

Magicman

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 16, 2014, 06:19:40 PMbut frankly, the next upgrade may well be something MUCH bigger ;) 
And then you could saw the log clamp or side support completely off.   :-\    :D

LittleJohn

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 18, 2014, 08:57:31 AM
OH and I'm a 'real' sawyer now!  :D ;D

I'd left the log dogs up on the mill past the log I was milling...

Did you not read in the owner's manual, you have to have the "SPECIAL" blade if you want to cut metal  :D :D
Being perfect is OVER-Rated

Thank You Sponsors!