iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Photo posting for Mac users

Started by sprucebunny, May 18, 2005, 08:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Modification:January2011
This is my current experience:

Resize your photos yourself to no more than 450 pixels the biggest way. I do this with Preview>Tools> Adjust size>450. Then, File>Save as(choose size less than 60k and JPG)

When you go to the gallery, go to "my gallery" (top left), name a folder for your pics the first time, use "upload photo" and NOT the Juploader.

When you go to add a picture to a post, the same thing >>> choose My Gallery>choose the picture>click on the line about "add photo to post?">click yes in pop-up box>go to the tab/page where the reply is. The code and picture name should be in the reply.

6/2014 Safari works fine, now. I resize all my photos to 700 on the longer side to save time uploading with my slow connection. I can only upload by the single picture.

Be sure to scroll down in the window to find the "Add to post" button.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

FiremanEd

Sprucebunny,

I just bought this mac last week, if you have a min could you help me through this process? Pretty please....
Each time I try to upload them it says they're too big but I've already got them as small as I can figure out how to get them.

Distressed in Va w/ some good pics to share (aka FiremanEd)
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

sprucebunny

Ed    What did you use to compress them ??? If the Forum upload says it's too big , you have to optimize or compress them differently.
I had a very hard time finding an optimizer.
And I finally bought PhotoshopElements...$89.00
Couldn't find anything else. It is available as a free trial for 30 days at Adobe's website.
Try that. ;D

LINK

sprucebunny

You still have to start with a picture that is 400x300 pixels. You can resize it when you export it from iPhoto , if you have that, or resize it in the PShop program.

FiremanEd

Thanks for the help.

I've tried resizing when I export from I-photo but it's still too large. I've got to get one of these optimizing programs.

thanks!

Eddie
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

wesdor

If you just bought your Mac new, then it probably has Graphic Converter.  Try using that program and it will do what you want.  If you didn't get that with your computer, then try VersionTracker.com and download a copy of graphic converter.  It doesn't do all that Photo Shop Elements does, but it doesn't cost nearly as much.

Good luck

sprucebunny

I finally realized that there is a slightly easier way to post pictures and have modified the first post .

Graphic Converter didn't help me with optimizing but I might have missed something. The ONLY optimizing utility I know of is the P-Shop Elements.

Riles

In GraphicConverter, you go to Save As, and you're given lots of options on reducing size.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill

Thanks for the great guidance for mac's - almost got it on the first try - well second try worked anyways  ;D

GareyD

Finally found a good compression software for the Mac...literally drag and drop the original foto where it says "Drop Picture Here", crop and drag off the compressed, resized and renamed copy...

Free demo can be downloaded which places a watermark on the bottom of the photo....registered version without watermark costs $11.95.

You can get "EasyCrop" at Yellow Mug Software
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Jeff

Garey I knew you were a graphic guy and I shoulda known you had a mac, but I guess I didnt know you had a mac. Or I forgot. Or sumpthin.

sprucebunny

Thanks, Garey, I tried it. Takes a little fooling with to get right and I don't think it's quite as clear as PS Elements but it sure is cheaper.

You HAVE to crop the pic to get it to move to the second screen...that took awhile to figure out ;D

GareyD

Did ya notice that it also has screen capture built in....

And ya can send/drag fotos right into mail....

And ya can drag a picture right out of a browser window...

Keep playing with it....after a couple of attempts it will just make ya go WOW  ;)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

sprucebunny

Ya...I found alot of features in my attempts to get the second screen to come up. It certainly does load faster than PS Elements and there are alot fewer buttons to push to get the job done.

Thanks ;D

Hilltop366

I use the preview that comes with the mac under tools select  "adjust size", set to 72dpi and adjust size to fit, click "ok" when you get desired size.

Had no luck with jupload used the upload file instead.

I cought a perch today before I could get it in the canoe it cought a bass!

Jeff

Hilltop366

Thanks...... now if I only knew how to spell....Caught

Hilltop366

since my last software update the jupload works... it sure is easy!

Jeff

It sure is nice to get a positive comment once in awhile. :)

weimedog

My cell phone camara actually has a rudimentary editing feature where I have been able to zoom and clip photo's down to what ever size these web sites need. Even have emailed pic to my phone to clip & send back to my computer.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

pnyberg

I got a new Mac Mini a couple of weeks ago, and uploaded my first picture from it today.  The Java uploader worked fine.  This was with Firefox, not Safari.

--Peter
No longer milling

Bandmill Bandit

I am not sure what I used but it worked great a couple of days ago when I used it and was pretty simple.

Only funny thing is that when I tried the first time with what I think was the old uploader it said I had exceeded my photo album upload limit.

The 2 Pics I used it on were of a Diamond Willow fire place mantal I cut for a friend last Christmas. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Jeff

No way have you exceeded your gallery limit. You have 50,000k available total at your membership level, and you only have a handful of photos. Perhaps did you try and upload an entire directory?

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Jeff on November 08, 2011, 01:50:43 PM
No way have you exceeded your gallery limit. You have 50,000k available total at your membership level, and you only have a handful of photos. Perhaps did you try and upload an entire directory?

Yes Jeff I know that I would have a hard time exceeding the limit. it might have something to do with a couple of pictures I did a drag and drop thing a few months ago that actually worked but I dont think they are in the right place. I am pretty sure that what ever is going on is a result of me not the system. I just thought I would mention it in case it messes something up for you photo server. Send me a private note if you need to and we can fix it if I screwed something for you.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself