iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of bug is this?

Started by Jim_Rogers, February 13, 2013, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

If this is the wrong section to post this question, please move it to where it should be.

What kind of bug is this?

We seem to be having a lot of them around here lately.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Raider Bill

Almost looks like what we call a stink bug but the head looks longer.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

justallan1

Kind of looks like a box elder beetle.
Allan

beenthere

Look up Conifer Seed Bug, and see if it matches up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 13, 2013, 12:08:28 PM
Almost looks like what we call a stink bug but the head looks longer.

We have little critters that look very similar to that at my place all the time.  Never seen them till i moved to NJ.  My wife told me they're "stink bugs" as Bill said.  I do notice there are typically long thin ones and shorter ones.  I figured it was male/female or something but never looked it up. 

Haven't researched it (yet).  Hope they aren't too much of a troublemaker.  I've never seen them do any harm - in fact i rarely see them move at all.  Tuned in to hear what the experts say

Oh i see BeenThere posted - after looking up that Conifer Seed Bug and the Stink bug (linked in the Wiki article) i think the two different bugs i see are those two different species.

"They [Stinkbug] also are commonly eaten in Laos"  .....   guess i'll never go hungry  :-X

wildbill

Young leaf foot bug.  I get them in the garden on cucumbers

I think
Raider Bill's favorite son

pappy19

I believe their official name is assasin bug. In our log home, we have seen quite a few in the past couple of years, not sure why.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Axe Handle Hound

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: pappy19 on February 13, 2013, 12:46:56 PM
I believe their official name is assasin bug. In our log home, we have seen quite a few in the past couple of years, not sure why.

Pap

It looks like an Assassin Bug. Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmV6TjVNZGM
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 13, 2013, 12:55:06 PM

It looks like an Assassin Bug. Check this out:

oh man those things are creepy

Cypressstump

pick the lil' feller up and take a smell ov' him... pukey !

we call them stinkbugs and they shore do stink.

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Tim Lea

looks like a stink bug.. what ever it is it's ugly... :D

Cedarman

Stinkbugs are almost as wide as they are long. They do not have an elongated head or the fins in the legs.  Not a stinkbug.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Cedarman

Assassin bugs are more warty.  I'm going with conifer seed bug.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Raider Bill

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for all your comments and links.

Jim Rogers

gspren

Like others have said stink bugs are wider, they also look sort of like a shield.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

To me, it looks like a Pine Beetle!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sonofman

It looks like a slight crunch as I am walking across the yard to me. :D
Located due west of Due West.

sprucebunny

It looks just like the bugs I get in my house every winter that smell when you crush them. It might have a different proper name but I call them stink bugs  ;)

There is often one waiting in the sink for me when I go to brush my teeth. I must have gotten sensitive to them... my upper lip goes numb when I smell one ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ArborJake

I say stink bug.  smiley_airfreshener I believe the conifer seed bug and stink bug are the same bug. Nomanclature . They try to get inside once the weather starts to turn cooler. Last few years there has been alot of them around here.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

caveman

Caveman

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so how do they get inside my mother's house?

Jim Rogers

Raider Bill

justallan1

This is the ones that are called box elder beetles here, and yup, they sure migrate indoors in the winter. I just took this picture.
Allan

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 14, 2013, 08:03:30 AM
Ok, so how do they get inside my mother's house?

Jim Rogers

I get the same bugs in my house and a whopping dose of the box elder beetles that justallan1 posted as well every fall.  Just found one in the shower this morning, in fact.  At my house I'm pretty convinced they're getting in through cracks in the soffits and fascia.  I also noticed I had a bad seal on the threshold of my walkout basement door so I sprayed some pesticide on the inside edge of it just to see what happened.  A few days later I found a large pile of dead box elder beetles just inside the door so clearly that was a preferred route.

SwampDonkey

I get similar bugs like Joan said. They can get in if house flies get in. These old farm houses are house fly havens in winter and they keep coming like the Borg. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tgalbraith

We have had that same bug during winter months here for the past couple years.
From what I could determine from doing a internet search, they are a " squash beetle".
They do have a very bad odor when you disturb them.  They at least twice as long as
a stink bug, but may be related.
If anyone comes up with a way to get rid of them, post it quick.

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Magicman

I call them Pine Sawyer Beetles.  LINK and LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The trouble is, these aren't beetles (the original post by Jim), they are in the order of insects called 'long-horned bugs' which in Latin is Hemiptera in suborder Gymnocerata. They don't have hardened forewings.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Jim, I believe what you have is a Squash Bug (Anasa tristis).
http://www.organicgardeninfo.com/squash-bug.html

I have a lot of problems with Box Elder bugs and once in a while would find a Squash Bug.  At first I thought it was just a huge Box Elder bug but my wife told me what they were because she fights them in her garden.

I've found the cheapest way to kill Box Elder bugs and Squash bugs is by spraying them with dish detergent diluted with enough water so it will spray good.  I kill thousands of them from their nymph stage to their adult stage and they just keep on coming.  It is a losing battle but a good way to vent my frustrations. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!