iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Oil

Started by woodchipper95, January 09, 2014, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchipper95

What oil do you use in your 2 stroke mix? Does it make a difference, I always used the cheap stuff.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Yatt

288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

Furu

Probably not a joke. There are many folks who really believe there is no difference and the cheapest is the best.  They do not care what happens to their equipment long term and do not take good care of it.

IMO:
the use of Stihl HP Ultra can not be beat by any product and is worth the very slightly higher price that is paid for it. It comes in white or silver containers.  They changed colors  a couple of years back. 

I will not even put the other two lower grades: Stihl High performance -orange container, and Stihl HP Super - Black container, in my equipment as they are not as good.  Do not get me started on the so called cheap stuff. 
If you are going to purchase good quality equipment treat it well and it will last a long time.  Do not put junk in it.

shelbycharger400

I run two cycle oil I pick up at orileys.  I figure if it's good enough for jet skis and snow machines it's good nough for saws.   on that note,  I mixed some gas last night,  it was 15 below and it didn't want to pour so I left it in the truck for a while.  I've been using it for a few years, no problems  at 40 to 1 .  my saws do smoke a bit but plugs are never fouled. My 670 and 630 jonsered scream compared to buddys 70 jonsereds.    to date I've used around 4 or 5 qt bottles of the oil

beenthere

Best?  Don't figure I know.

What I use is the Stihl High Performance (in the orange bottle) and have used since my first new Stihl saw in 1975. Never lost a saw and going on 39 years now.
So can't say what is best, or how this oil could be better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I avoid anything that's suspiciously cheap (There must be a reason) and anything that's crazy expensive (little added benefit for a premium price)

Then I'm happy with any quality oil from a major manufacturer.

I've used Stihl oil, but it was a bit pricey. Reading the small print on the back "Made in NZ by Castrol Oil". Hardware store has Castrol brand oil, in the same container, but with a different colour dye and label. It's cheaper, and I suspect it's the exact same stuff. So that's what I usually buy now.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AdkStihl

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on January 09, 2014, 12:43:22 PM
I run two cycle oil I pick up at orileys.  I figure if it's good enough for jet skis and snow machines it's good nough for saws.   on that note,  I mixed some gas last night,  it was 15 below and it didn't want to pour so I left it in the truck for a while.  I've been using it for a few years, no problems  at 40 to 1 .  my saws do smoke a bit but plugs are never fouled. My 670 and 630 jonsered scream compared to buddys 70 jonsereds.    to date I've used around 4 or 5 qt bottles of the oil

2-Cycle oil (TCW-3) designed for liquid cooled jet-skis and/or snowmobiles is not designed to be run in an aircooled chainsaw.

TCWIII means two cycle water cooled 3rd generation of standards. Chainsaws are two cycle but far from liquid cooled. TCW rated oils have no where near the low or no ash capabilities of a modern FC or FD rated oil. In fact the TCW rating system hasn't even been upgraded or changed since the early 90's. Why chance your saws well being for a few bucks?
J.Miller Photography

goose63

I use tall timber put 3 2.6 oz bottles in 2.5 gallons of gas after 14 years the old jred 2171 still runs like a champ 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

woodchipper95

Thanks guys I will use Stihl HP Ultra, I have some from when I bought my weed-eater (free oil).  I really do not know why people feel the need to put others down on these sites... Wait let me guess you came out the womb running saws smiley, sorry guys I am only 18 and do not know everything about saws.

I like to learn and know what's best.  :P

woodchipper95

thecfarm

I use the husky bottles. I also use the highest grade of gas at my local station for all my small motors. I have no idea if any of if really makes a diffeance,but it makes me happy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodchipper95

I use 97 gas in my car and I do get better mpg's.

Higgins

Chalk up another for Stihl HP Ultra.

thecfarm

Start to use it in your small engines too. I have no idea if it helps.but it is a better fuel,can't hurt.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodchipper95

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2014, 04:35:56 PM
Start to use it in your small engines too. I have no idea if it helps.but it is a better fuel,can't hurt.  :)

I do. My Eager Beaver defiantly runs best with 97.

martyinmi

Quote from: mad murdock on January 09, 2014, 03:45:19 PM
popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley  :new_year:
popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
You'll need to be sharing that stuff!!! :D

Where's good 'ol unkie Al? wheeliechair

He'll surely have a dog in this fight! dadgum you, Charlie!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

thecfarm

He's awful quiet.   ;D  Not like him at all with a thread like this. The title says it all.

Ianab

Quote from: woodchipper95 on January 09, 2014, 03:58:41 PM
Thanks guys I will use Stihl HP Ultra, I have some from when I bought my weed-eater (free oil).  I really do not know why people feel the need to put others down on these sites... Wait let me guess you came out the womb running saws smiley, sorry guys I am only 18 and do not know everything about saws.

It's a reference to various "Oil Wars" threads that are the stuff of legend on any chainsaw site. Occasionally someone gets bored and tries to spark it off again just to get a reaction.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WmFritz

Quote from: martyinmi on January 09, 2014, 04:45:01 PM

Where's good 'ol unkie Al? wheeliechair

Marty, you are relentless.  smiley_devilish
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WmFritz

Quote from: woodchipper95 on January 09, 2014, 03:58:41 PM

I don't think anything was meant as a put down woodchipper. The oil debates here, as Ianab said, is a hot topic. A search on oil here will get you loads of discussions. Just like the Ford-Chevy-Dodge wars or g**ts vs. potatoes fights. Actually you'll find oil wars on any forum that pertains to internal combustion engines. Whether it's chainsaws, tractors, snowmobiles or Corvettes, you'll find lively discussions. You'd do well to sift through all advice offered and decide on the oil that's best for you. Above all though, your asking for mechanical problems with dirt cheap oil.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

woodchipper95

Just read this thread and now I understand... well that was more a ratio thing than it was what brand.

Proud to say ill be running 40:1 Hp Ultra, Thanks guys.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,70686.0.html

Higgins

DDDfarmer

I buy the gallon jugs of premium skidoo oil at Canadian tire when they come on sale.  I saved all the 500ml oil bottles I could and fill them from the gallon.  For the saws I mix 5 gallons at a time at 40/45:1 with fuel stabil also.  It's kept in a 5 gallon CN can with the caps on in the back of cold garage, can sit there for 6 months and its still good never goes bad.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!