iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS 2511T

Started by Meanderthal, September 09, 2019, 05:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meanderthal

Hello, I recently purchased an echo 2511T which I am super impressed with however the chain that came when it, in my opinion, is to aggressive. Could anyone relate and possibly suggest another chain and bad I should use? I would like to say with the 12" bar.  Thank you for your input.

btulloh

Too aggressive?  For what?

You can just cut into the dirt once and that'll gentle it right down.  :D  (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
HM126

btulloh

Welcome to the forum. 

I'm not trying to be jerk, but usually we're talking about making chains cut as fast as the saw can handle. This is an unusual question. 
HM126

doc henderson

most saws come with a safety low kickback chain and these cut more gentle, smaller chips and less prone to dull.  in a stihl chain this is the RM.  for experienced folks that want the saw to pull itself into the wood and throw big chips and cut fast, stihl has the RS.  ask you dealer about the chain, but most come with a less aggressive chain and you have to ask for the more aggressive.  btulloh is right, most folks want fast.  with a small bar and if you are use to a non pro saw, this may take getting used to, but after a while you will likely love it.  If you are new to saws, Stihl and prob. echo has safety videos on the web site, that is really about all things using a saw.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

donbj

Is it a used saw and maybe someone over did it with filing the rakers?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

btulloh

Good point. 

I was under the impression that it was new although  the op didn't say that. My bad. 

Perhaps the previous owner messed up the depth gauges. 
HM126

lxskllr

Yea, the stock chain is kinda grabby. It'll get a bit better as you sharpen it cause the rakers will be comparitively higher. I like Stihl pm63 chain on it. Cuts well, and doesn't grab like the Oregon chain.

Meanderthal

Yes it is a new saw and it is a new saw. I understand that for a chainsaw you obviously want your saw to pull wood as fast and as efficiently as possible. I wouldnt be posting on here if I didnt know that. So with that said, the stock chain seems, yes aggressive, and by that mean the saw chatters. Almost as if it is trying to take off too much wood too fast. The chain was out of the box was like that. Although I appreciate the advice of running the saw into the dirt a few times to dull the blade it isnt helpful. I am not new to saw but this is the first time I have had this problem with a new saw and a new chain out of the box. It is however the first time I am trying solve the issue and to see if anyone else run in to the same or similar issue. 

@lxskllr did you put a new chain and bar on your saw and was it the same gauge and pitch? If not how was changing the sprocket?

btulloh

Sounds like the depth gauges are not consistent.  I expect a new chain to be ok, but there's always a chance of getting a dud I suppose.

Check out this article:  http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_depth_gauge.htm

HM126

doc henderson

new out of the box, I would be back at the dealer.  may be a defective chain.  let them replace and try a new chain.  may be a manufacturing defect in that chain.  if a new chain same pitch solves you issue, then you are done and should be covered by the dealer.  the more info we have, the more to the point we can offer advise.  good luck.  Here is where you find out what kind of dealer you have, and new out of the box this is a challenge to sort out, not really your responsibility.  knowing that you have experience with a chainsaw, puts our differential into another category.  If you want, you could post a video of the saw cutting.  (not a selfie) 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I recently got a good deal on Stihl farm boss so I got three.  one for my son, one for my brother, and one for my friend across the street.  the one for my son, had the chain on backwards.  went back and read your first post and you are new to the forum, we had no idea about your experience.  echo are well respected saws and I suspect there is an issue with your saw or chain.  feel free to add to your profile.

Meanderthal

I found the exact same problem I am having with the exact same saw. So tell me what you guys think. Start the video at The 5 minute mark and pay attention to the chattering of the bar in the wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwx4lHxQXto

lxskllr

The 2511 is known to come with grabby chain. This isn't an isolated issue. The chain's too aggressive for the 25cc motor. I kept everything stock with regards to gauge. There's some higher performing setups with narrow kerf, and/or .25" chain, but I want to keep my gear as consistent as possible across my saws. I also value robustness over performance.

Meanderthal

@lxskllr Awesome thank you. Would you be able to post links to the bar and chain you have suggested? Also would I need to change the sprocket or just swap the b&C?

lxskllr

I haven't verified the b&c as a good replacement yet, but I've used one similar on my cs400, and am happy with it.  I got the b&c combo to have a backup, and the chain doesn't cost anymore than spinning my own off the reel, so I figured getting both made sense. I'm linking the full search results so you can see the other options...

Chainsaw Bar Selector

I got the ArborMax b&c combo(.50 gauge chain made by Carlton). The ArborMax Lite is .43 gauge. These are made in Taiwan, and have Swiss bearings. I haven't put significant wear on them yet, but they seem to me to be at least the equal of the stock echo consumer level bars, and I like the larger nose radius better. On the stock bar, I've used Stihl PM63 I spun up myself, and have been happy with the performance.

edit:
just changing gauge, you can swap the b&c, and the sprocket will be fine. I believe the Euros have the option of a Sugihara bar, and .25" chain. If you wanted to that route(maybe online?), you'd have to change the sprocket.

doc henderson

have you tried it on greenwood?  that log looks pretty dry.

Meanderthal

@lxskllr thank you I'll check out the b&c and you know what I think!
Quote from: doc henderson on September 11, 2019, 03:23:00 PM
have you tried it on greenwood?  that log looks pretty dry.
I was cutting Ash trees. So hardwood that was dead.

doc henderson

such a light saw, and as you know designed for one handed up in the tree work, so just wondering if it performs more comfortably on greenwood.  thx for the video.

Thank You Sponsors!