iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gotta Idee

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 29, 2003, 12:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtody

After my "small mill set-up" post, my son called his friend in the crane repair business.  they're working on a gantry type crane, 3 ton chain hoist, 8' lift, 10' span, portable/adjustable, within reason.  It should handle a 10-12 foot log.  He's guestimating a couple, three hundred for the rig.  And I'll throw in a week-end at the cabin fishing on Lake Michigan, if he wants to.

Just a thought on Tom's log lifter, it wouldn't work in the Southern Hemisphere, the sky is a different direction down under.  Does he have a model for down there?

woodhaven

How much work space will it take up?
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

I'm figuring about 6 feet from the side of the mill, if the mill bed is 3' high.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dtody

Kevin had a picture of what the set-up should look like.

Re: small mill set-up
« Reply #29 on: 09/23/03 at 20:47:08 »  Quote  Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dtody;
I cant see a gantry crane working any quicker than having a good staging area beside the mill.
For just a few logs it might work ok but I can't see a huge benefit.

Is this what you had in mind ... his picture I couldn't copy.

If you asking me how much space, I would say 1' x 4' for the legs on each side, with enough space between the legs for the mill and a pile of logs, or ATV to drag the log next to the mill.  Might be more time to use the rig, but right now, I want a single person rig, with a minimum of effort.  Should have all the components in place by the end of the month, I'll post pictures then.

Bigdogpc

I MIGHT be interested in some contraption IF it was duel purpose and would load a trailer as well as the mill.  12v sounds like something to my liking.  Cobble away so you'll have some results to demo...

Tom

Hmmmmm-m-m   A down under loader.

Minnesota_boy

Why would you need  a loader for down under?  The sky is a different direction, the logs would fall up and you'd just have to guide them onto the mill.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Oh-h-h-h-h!  I hadn't thought of that.

Gus

A yes my fellow inmates,
The place of ideas 8)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Fla._Deadheader

Tom, looks like your idea is worth more than mine.  ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Think you can make it work?  I'm hung up on the hook thingy. :D

biziedizie

K I just read this thread from start to end and I must say you guys are funny ;)
  Anyways would you guys buy something like this if it could load the log on to the mill or a trailer??? If you could roll the log on to a unit with a cant hook and hit a button and just roll it on to your mill would you buy it??? $800.00/$1200.00 is that worth saving your back and the danger of having a log roll on ya??? I think it is :)
  Like I said in the beginning I know what Harold is thinking of building but I have never talked to him about it.
  I think this is a great idea and it would be cool to see a forum member make some money selling this concept instead od a big company that will double the price to pay for their overhead.

Steve

Tom

Don't know bizi.  The idea has merit but I'm not an impulse shopper.  If it were built, tested, proven, marketed and I saw it and I needed it,  I would probably buy one.

I really enjoy Harold's exhuberance and fabricating ability.  It's sure difficult to not give him a hard time though.  Thank goodness for his sense of humor, eh?

Frank_Pender

You folks jest, but he has something that is very marketable, not only for usens, but for a number of other usess.  Touch base with me Deadheder on the side line and perhaps I can help ya all with your designing.  I have been working on the same sort of issue for my operation.  In my case I am wanting to locate an instrument on a single dolly axel that is easily moved and set up with three or perhaps 4 hydraulic outriggers.
Frank Pender

dail_h

DH,
   The guys beat me to the trailer thing,if you can make it work on a trailer,I want the first one.With all this storm dowm timber ,I need sumptin to load with,and besides I ain't got no mill yet      SHOOT
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodhaven

FD
What ever happened with the sander?
Richard

Fla._Deadheader

My welder has been up to his earballs in Scoop manufacturing, and I couldn't help OR crack the whip ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

oakiemac

Hey DH,

Will this contraption load logs onto a mill, load lumber on a trailer, and serve up an ice cold beer when the job is done? Cause if it will, then I'll buy one on the spot! ;D

At any rate it sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted. :)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

BBTom

Harold,
Not knowing what you be thinking, maybe I will throw my brain farts into the air and see if anyone catches them.

I am thinking of maybe using connections like Milemarker winches use for hydraulic power when used for a trailer....a cheap hyd motor with sprockets on it.... a modified roller chain with something to push the log that can be attached quickly and easily.. chain runs on the top of the incline....  incline attached to trailer so it cannot tip over.  two inclines make a set .. that way they are easy to put on the trailer or truck even if it is loaded with logs..

hope that doesn't smell too bad!!!! :-[

Tom    
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

dail_h

DH,
    Will this thing work on trailers of different height? I got two and they ain't the same,plus when I get a mill,who knows how high that will be.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, adjustable height, Dail.
  Before the snow gets too deep, could you check on that Corley Edger and see if it's for sale and how much??  I'm about ready for it.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!