iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Affordable planer/moulder

Started by Snag, May 15, 2006, 04:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I have an 18 inch woodmaster that I use for small runs. It's available with a router mount on the outfeed side, make tounge and groove from rough boards in 2 passes. Just finished running 1700 ft of 4 inch crown moulding, two passes per 12 ft 1x5. Woodmaster has all manner of knives available, but I make my own. The hardened tool steel is available from MCI in 3 ft lengths, quite reasonable.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Snag

I was planning on getting the router attachment if I do indeed purchase the woodmaster.  Glad to hear it is working out well for you.  I do intent on doing a descent amount of processing with it, but spread out over a couple years.  This might be a dumb question, but what is the process you perform to make your own knives?

pineywoods

Making my own knives-----The first step is to make a template in the exact shape desired. Keep it in a safe place, you'll need it later. I use thin sheet metal. to make the template, cut and filed to shape. Use the template to mark out the shape on a piece of hardened tool steel. (Unless you have access to heat-treating facilities, another story) I use an abrasive cut-off saw to rough out the shape of the cutter. Go slow, cool the metal in water frequently. Too much heat will take the temper out of the metal. Then I go to a standard bench grinder and finish shaping and sharpening freehand. Final sharpening is done using a fine grinding wheel on a special grinder. It uses the template and a guide pin sorta like a pin router guide to get the exact same shape as the template. Mine's home-made, I'll try to get some pictures. Biggest problem I had was finding a source for the steel. I use 1/4 X 1 1/4 available from MCI industrial supply, available in 3 ft lengths.
I've been well pleased with woodmaster..factory support is excellent

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!