iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar??

Started by Typhoon, October 04, 2003, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok, to make a long story short. My wife just LOVES picnic tables. And I have a nice spot on our land to put one. She doesnt know it yet but I want to build her a cedar one for christmas. It has to be cedar. Im dead set on it. However, where can I find the cedar to build it with? Anyone have any ideas? I would even pay to have it shipped. I just need the lumber. Any ideas appreciated.  :)
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Tom

I've heard it grows like a weed up your way. :D

Get in touch with Bibbyman.  He cuts it.  He's along about the same lattitude as St. Louis.  Is that Looie?

I've seen it growing in Alabama, Western N.C.and Tennesee faster than they can mow it down.  Gow to the members map and see if you can contact one of these fellows close to you or in a more southern state.  

Minnesota_boy

Hey Tom,
Maybe he meant northern white cedar, or western red?   ;D ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

yeah, could be :D
Or incense cedar, or salt cedar, or southern red, arborvitae, atlas, yellow, or ......................? and I opened my big mouth. ::)

Probably isn't Cedar waxwing.  I don't think that would make a very good table. :D  ......I digress...... .....again :-X :D

Typhoon

Thanks guys!! I will try Bibbyman!
 8)
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Percy

Heya Typhoon
If you cant find any around there, Im swimmin in Western Red Cedar up here in northern B.C. Ill even send a picture of the pieces Im sending ya ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

biziedizie

Typhoon I got a customer that ordered some cedar for a picnic table and he wanted the wood to be 4" x 12" x 6' long. I asked him why he wanted it cut like this and he said that he wanted the table to look like one of them park tables. Weeks later I went to his place and he had it sitting in his yard, his yard was full of animals and the place looked really cool :)
  He transformed his place in to a petting zoo and it musta cost him a fortune to do what he did. I asked him about his place and why he did this and his reply was "I like to see the children smile" :)

Steve

Bibbyman

How far are you from Marengo, Indiana?   "Cederman" Richard Newman does a cedar business there and is set up to ship.

Here is a link to his web site. EASTERN RED CEDAR
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!