iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hood 7000

Started by IH skidder, November 16, 2015, 03:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IH skidder

Hello, I have a hood 7000 log loader that won't load logs anymore. It started a few months back when I would extend the stick boom all the way out it would just all of a sudden drop to the ground. It would do this a couple times while loading my tri axle and be fine. Or so I thought. Until this past weekend my business partner was loading some logs with it and it did it usual ritual of dropping to the ground but this time it would not regain its composure and come back to life. He said everything else works fine i.e. the main boom, grapple and swing except he can't get the stick boom to pick itself back up. It just hangs there lifeless.  We have changed out the port relief valve but that didn't work. So I figured instead of throwing expensive parts at the stupid thing I figured I would ask around. If anybody has any ideas of what could be wrong with this thing I would greatly appreciate your help.   Thanks.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  There are a number of very knowledgeable members here, and hope they can help you.

Off-hand, sounds like you need to do some pressure checks to find out where you are losing pressure (or not losing pressure and then it points to a different problem).

Assume you have checked out the ordinary things such as filters, oil levels.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

IH skidder

Thank you for your reply. The filters and oil are all good and we are going to check pressures tonight. I am also trying to track down a manual for the loader so we can find out what the pressure  parameters are supposed to be but that is turning into a bigger chore than figuring out what the problem is in the first place.

Gearbox

Im thinking that your packing in your cylinder may be bad and finaly shreded , or the nut came off the piston . If you check the presure on the hoses with a tee it will be low on both sides . Hope this helps . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

snowstorm

on the 7000 hood i had 2250psi .its been a while but thats a good place to start. dose that use a deverter valve for the extanda boom? it sounds like either the main relife or circit relief . either its worn or something keeping it from seating

tj240

i have ran 7000, but i dont know what pump you have. the bigger hoods have sections in the pumps. i had a similar prob, and a section of the pump was bad, the main boom wouldnt work, all others functions would, good luck, check the pump
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

hanstedtwr

Quote from: Gearbox on November 16, 2015, 05:30:44 PM
Im thinking that your packing in your cylinder may be bad and finaly shreded , or the nut came off the piston . If you check the presure on the hoses with a tee it will be low on both sides . Hope this helps . Gearbox

I would agree here. If it was slugish for a while i would guess it was a nut. See if you can back pressure the system with another function to get that function to work. If that is the case,i would take the ram. My first guess would be looking at the ram. Also is there any noise either in the ram or valve that could be another thing to note. 

550 Cat Harvester with fabtek 180 dangle head, 2006 John Deere 1010D, Conehead 585 Chipper, Cancar C 4 cable skidder, Dyna sc 14 firewood processor and many other toys

Thank You Sponsors!