iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade skidders: Anybody (other than Dad) built one from a 1948 vintage truck?

Started by CS Fifield, December 02, 2017, 01:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

I love it.  5 lug makes me think they were old GMC 2ton juice axles.  What tranny tcase and gears does it have and are they low enough?   

Mine is gonna have a loader too.  collecting phase is almost ripe.  

Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

A lot toasty. guy i knew put holes in his perkins block and couldnt find a core. The burnt machine turned up at auction i think and thats all he needed from it.  I bought the loader and hoe before he scrapped the remains.   It was an 89 massey 450HX with 1600 hrs. 
Praise The Lord

grabber green

Mike, my homemade machine has a t18 4sp then a transfer case from a mid sized international truck and the axles came from two identical dodge 2 ton trucks I found in a junk yard for $100 ,they are  6.20 ratio.                        With the transfer case in low range it crawls pretty slow and pulls nice.

Crusarius

dwchaisson

homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

Iwawoodwork

DW that is a fine looking skidder, need more info on it, what engine, trans, rear ends , and any photos of the  actual building of it, well done,

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dwchaisson

it was a class project, Im the welding Instructor at our high school and we built it, engine is 3.9 dodge fuel injected, auto tranny transfercase is out of a older nissan 4wd, its the divorced style. rearends are out of a 22 massey(mustang). worked well until I got greedy and broke it at the center joint, havent had much time to get it back into the shop and fix it again, check out my gallery there is a few pictures of the build
her is a video of it https://youtu.be/Tal8vSU1RM8 
homemade skidder, homemade band mill, home made log loader and trailer, 1993 ford 1 ton,1996 Chevy 1Ton dump, 2010 john deere 5065M with loader, 1987 trackless with blower, 576 husky,565 husky 372husky, homemade processor in the build stage, 900 david brown. 2 fordson majors. Life Long Collector

Satamax

Guys, here in France, after ww2 life was harsh for some time. Then it got better, and Americans left, leaving tons if gmc deuce and a half trucks.

And the french brand Agrip built many small four wheel steer forestry tractors, using deuce's front axles.  Engines were Alsthom diesel. Gearboxes, i can't remember.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

grabber green

mike_belben

Just think how many more skidders they could have made by using the rears instead.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: grabber green on December 12, 2018, 05:16:48 PM
Please howbout some pics and more specs?
Here's a vid of an ARD 40, rolling after three minutes. 
agrip ARD 40 - YouTube
Mike, they didn't start to build articulated ones till the seventies. Late seventies. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

tacks Y

Grabber, What are you running for tires? I started with 24" semi tires and chains, they did not last. Sticks in the side walls, went to backhoe tires much better.

grabber green

Satamax, Thanks for the video's!                                                              

grabber green

Tacks I'm running 10.00/20 truck tires.There not ideal but they were free.I try watch were I go ,sometimes I put chains on for better traction. I use my real skidder (Clark 667c) when I'm in the rough stuff.      Theres no substitute for actual forestry tires.

tacks Y

Brian w

That is awesome and looks like he built it to last. Not like the things now days and even the people now no one wants to fix anything let alone build what they need. I have a couple younger guys working for me and all they want to do is just throw stuff away and buy something new.

Ron Scott

See the Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment Thread, Reply #41, April 6, 2002. Also reply #30.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!