iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

272 worth aquiring?

Started by shinnlinger, October 03, 2014, 10:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

I have a chance to pick one up that i believe has had a decent life.   I was thinking if it ran ok I would offer in the $150 range.  Am I off base?   Should I even bother?  Looking for an occasional use saw that can run a 24" bar.  Any particular things to check when buying this or any used saw for that matter?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

AdkStihl

That's a smoking deal.
If you don't like it, I'll give you your $ back plus 10%
J.Miller Photography

HolmenTree

Excellent saw even for 2014 standards, Husqvarna is still manufacturing them in other parts of the world.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

webgal

Curious why they are selling. I hear about people trying to mod and do this and that to their saw and they can't figure out how to make it run right. Ask the gent when he ran it last. That would be a good indicator.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

shinnlinger

The saw is owned by a guy who had a vision of milling lots of lumber off his land and even bought a small sawmill he quickly traded up to a larger mill.  The vision didn't really work out, and within 6 months he had sold the mill and now he has no need for such a large saw.  I have previously purchased a log rite canthook and lumber scale from him.

He had acquired the saw from another guy I know.  It has only had occasional use its whole life.  I have never seen it, but I believe it to be in good working stock form.

I suppose I should go take a look and find out.

Thanks
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sawguy21

It will likely need carb work and fuel lines so take that into consideration. If it is as good as you say 150 would be an excellent price.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!