iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New addition to the collection

Started by donbj, August 30, 2023, 04:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Picked up this little gem off a saw site. It's like new and excellent condition. Come with original manual as well. The fellow didn't know if it ran as he just bought it from the original owner. It looked great so I went with it and had it shipped. Thought I might have to monkey with it to get it running but I fueled it up and 5th pull on choke it fired up. It runs perfectly, put it through a 16" fir and it pulled just fine. Not big CC's like I'm used to but a great addition to the fleet.

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

DHansen

Old Greenhorn

Nice little saw. You don't say what you gave for it, but I assume it was a good deal. Your post inspired me to go hunting around a bit again. I gave up about 2 years ago looking for decent deals on used saws because what was out there was homeowner junk and the prices were out of this world.
 I was pleasantly surprised to see some 395's, 572's, and some older 372's out there as well as a lot of other decent saws for something closer to decent prices. Some were even cheap, but needing work, and of course there were still homeowner saws asking for silly prices they should never see. But it appears that just like heavy equipment, saws are showing up on the market in good numbers again. I have my eyes open for a small saw around 40CC if the price is good, and also maybe a 3 or 572 at a good price.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

donbj

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 30, 2023, 08:06:48 PM
Nice little saw. You don't say what you gave for it, but I assume it was a good deal. Your post inspired me to go hunting around a bit again. I gave up about 2 years ago looking for decent deals on used saws because what was out there was homeowner junk and the prices were out of this world.
I was pleasantly surprised to see some 395's, 572's, and some older 372's out there as well as a lot of other decent saws for something closer to decent prices. Some were even cheap, but needing work, and of course there were still homeowner saws asking for silly prices they should never see. But it appears that just like heavy equipment, saws are showing up on the market in good numbers again. I have my eyes open for a small saw around 40CC if the price is good, and also maybe a 3 or 572 at a good price.
I paid $120US for this one. Works out to $150CAD. You are right about the homeowner saws asking way too much. This is a step above them from what I can see. Pretty stout little saw. For me it's more for the collecting aspect than anything though they all do get used randomly to keep them up. If they don't get used I fire them up every 3-4 months to keep them fresh.
I have my eye out for a good 372XP as well. I haven't run into any for sale for a long time. Seems I have better luck with the big ones, 2100's and 394's etc. I have 4 of each and enough real good parts to build another couple of each. I come across quite a few of the homeowner stuff but there's no value going forward in those so I steer clear.
Good luck on your 372 search, great saws! 

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

sawguy21

You got a good deal on that J-red, it is a very good saw with lots of power for its size. I'm jealous! :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Twowithone

Fishnuts2

My Father in Law bought a new 49SP, and the first time I used it I kept checking to see if it was cutting and running properly because it was so smooth and quiet.  But at the time I was heating my house using a McCulloch 1-10, so that explains a lot right there!
Nice saw you have there!

Al_Smith

Two brands  J-Red and Partner .Both made very good items but just didn't become as popular as others .I call the 3 cubers as the Jack Russels of chainsawdom .I've only worked on one J-Red in my life time and it was a 3 cuber.I was impreessed . 
Now I have to wonder . Was the 49 a pre runner to the 490? If so it was basically the same as a Partner 5000 plus .If so those are hot little runners in that size of saw .  

Spike60

Al, the 49sp wasn't related to the 490. The 49 and other saws from that era are what we call "pure" Jonsereds in that they are pre-elux when Jonsered was an independent company. 490 like you say, is pretty much a red Partner 5000. Think the only difference may be the air filter? 

49sp was a huge seller in its day, and as they were so well built, there are plenty of survivors. I have 5 of my own, all runners. And a couple of the related 52E's. In addition to the electronic ignition, the 52 had a closed port cylinder and 2 vs 1 ring piston. Pistons interchange if needed for projects. Performance wise, I've never really noticed a difference between the 2 of them. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

I'm more of a restoration type than I am a collector .Speaking strictly Partner I've said before it took me about two years to find all the parts for the P-100's and I'm not doing any faster on the little 49 cc models .The one and only J-red was years ago and then what few parts it was was not a problem .
You can find parts,after market for a Model A Ford but not so much on old chainsaws .Who knows perhaps in time to come I might land some model of J-Red when I least expect it .Stranger things have happened .

donbj

Was fortunate again today and landed these two. A very good 394XP and a 288XP with a scored piston. The 394 is in very good shape. Awesome compression and runs great. The fellow I got them from got them from a tree service company when he left and went on his own. The 394 he didn't use very much at all just because of weight and used the 288 mostly until the piston scored. I suspect crank seals. Cylinder looks pretty good from looking in the ports but will know after disassembly. Other than that it's all there with a brand new clutch cover/brake as well.It has a non stock muffler though, apparently the original one had the exhaust discharge get messed up and kept melting the brake handles so he changed it out for this. Clutch cover/brake on the 394 is pretty much as new as well. Pretty excited about these ones for $300 cad for both. He is downsizing his saws a bit and going with newer ones so let these go.

Greenhighlander

Beauty saws, especially that first jred. 
Also beauty DRZ I think I see there 

DHansen

All those saws are great, but I was eyeing up that John Deere and front end loader.  Saws and tractors, life is good!

donbj

Quote from: Greenhighlander on September 10, 2023, 03:44:37 PM
Beauty saws, especially that first jred.
Also beauty DRZ I think I see there
Thanks. Came upon another 49 SP the other day in about as nice a shape as this one but I passed. DRZ400S(2019), just bought it a month ago. I had a 2003 KLX400S (exact same bike, different plastic is all) for about 12 years and sold it a couple years ago. Kinda regretted it and bought this one. 3500 kilometers on it. Just need to put more suitable tires on it for what I do. Might gear it down some as well.

donbj

Quote from: DHansen on September 10, 2023, 07:18:00 PM
All those saws are great, but I was eyeing up that John Deere and front end loader.  Saws and tractors, life is good!
Yes, a good mix. I bought this tractor in 2000. It's a 1993 5300. I have the bucket, forks, rear blade, and 3pt backhoe for it. I have a saw carrier mounted to the loader mount so it has its own safe spot to ride.

It has been one of the best machines I have ever owned.

donbj

Looks like 288 week. Picked this up yesterday. It has done some work for sure. Compression is rock solid. Owner hadn't used it for about 3 years. Fueled up and a shot in the carb and away it went. Runs great.
288XP - YouTube

donbj

This one came with the 288. Nice 266XP. Complete saw with low compression. has some scoring on  the exhaust side of cylinder. Piston looks good considering. Maybe just cylinder cleanup and a ring, time will tell. Came with a practically new Cannon Superbar
266XP - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!