iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling paneling

Started by Medieval, January 20, 2020, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medieval

So, one major project I want to mill when I get my hm126 up and going is paneling. 
Has anyone else got experience with it? I'm limited on width, which is fine for my projects. 
Do I need to stack it a certain way?
Will it dry different than dimensional limber?
Any tips or tricks?

I'll watch and learn, you all are the best.

Escavader

You mean like vee match?i mill a couple million feet a year😊
Bottom layer vees up after that v face down  that way dust etc doesnt get on face.
Dead piles  wood must be dry before milling because of erratic shrinkage,or it will mold.if you try sticking it and running it not dry youll get sticker drying marks

Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Medieval

I'm not familiar with v match. I was thinking 1/8 inch sheets.

Southside

Material that thin will have a lot of cupping and splitting happen as it dries. You can definitely saw it that thin, but the loss during drying will outweigh any advantage you were hoping for. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

Quote from: Medieval on January 20, 2020, 06:11:03 PM
So, one major project I want to mill when I get my hm126 up and going is paneling.
Has anyone else got experience with it? I'm limited on width, which is fine for my projects.
Do I need to stack it a certain way?
Will it dry different than dimensional limber?
Any tips or tricks?

I'll watch and learn, you all are the best.
Please define "paneling", as the term has different interpretations.  thx.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

JoshNZ

I think he's talking 1/8" thick boards.

I guess if you stacked them under a heavy sheet of something they'd stay flat. I don't know about checking/splitting.

What use do you have for 1/8" thick sheets? Veneer?

florida

1/8" "paneling" is made from plywood and these days with a paper face. It has little to no resemblance to original wood paneling.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Medieval

I was originally thinking 1/8 for veneer, but may need to step up thickness to make a tongue & groove type after reading on here. Certainly not worth the game of I get no resemblance to the original wood look.

Southside

I have made T+G wall profiles as thin as 9/16" with good results. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

Quote from: Medieval on January 23, 2020, 01:12:51 AM
I was originally thinking 1/8 for veneer, but may need to step up thickness to make a tongue & groove type after reading on here. Certainly not worth the game of I get no resemblance to the original wood look.
Typically when you mill lumber less than 1" thick, you end up with a lot if wood movement during drying.
The thinnest "paneling" that I have made was 1/2", which was made by resawing a dry 5/4 thick board and then running it through a moulder.
I have successfully dried quartersawn red oak before, milled at 13/16 and then moulder into 1/2" flooring after drying. It was stickered at 12" during drying with 4"thick concrete slabs placed on top of the stacks.

I think that you may end up with a lot of waste if you mill thin. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DMcCoy

I make 5/16" T and G. and use it for the inner panel on my shop cabinet doors out of dry Douglas fir.  It's a bit touchy.   I use a table saw blade for the female and 2 dado blades with a custom spacer for the male.  

H Depot lists 5/16" pine v groove T and G.

I have also made some 3/8".  Which after fussing around with 5/16 seemed easier.  I also added a cove instead of v groove.

I wish I had the experience of running several million feet.  I would know better what to be watching.

alan gage

It seems safer to mill thicker and cut out veneer after drying.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Medieval

Quote from: alan gage on January 23, 2020, 09:12:26 AM
It seems safer to mill thicker and cut out veneer after drying.

Alan
Is this possible, or is this panel not possible with a band mill?

doc henderson

it is possible but some would say that there will be stress in the thicker wood that will show up when milled thinner.  How thick?  I sometimes mill 1/8th to 1/4 "  for hobby stuff. It is fun to check your mill and cut a 1/16th inch slice to see if it is cutting consistent.  but this thin can curl into a ball.  It is thin enough to see light through it.  the difficulty is not cutting them, but drying them flat.  almost need a vapor permeable press.  maybe a hot iron! :).  I milled a bunch of 1/4: ERC to line a closet.  just nailed to the walls for my BIL.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

For cedar closet lining, when I was running the rough end at a cabinet/millwork shop we would buy 4/4x5" ERC, a common size. I would split it both ways with bandsaws then had ground a set of small T&G V groove knives for the molder. IIRC we ended up with 2-1/4x 3/8" closet lining that looked nice. It was  applied with liquid nails and  a trim nailer over osb or drywall.

Thank You Sponsors!