iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

q-sawn

Started by Norm, February 08, 2004, 11:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Since Paul had an unusual wood I thought I'd show some q-sawn wood that the first time I was asked to saw some I thought the guy was crazy. Since then I try to save any that I get accidently from sawing out the crotcwood pieces.

If a guy could afford it and had the time and patience it would make a nice floor.

shopteacher

What kind is that Norm?  Seem funny asking that,  as my Dad and older brother is named Norm. ;D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

East_West_Dan

Paul_H

That's a pretty piece of wood Norm.(My Dad's name is Norm too) ;D
Would it take a lot of time and patience because you get very little out of a crotchwood,or does it tend to have a lot of tension?

Are the patterns of color across the grain,what they call "ray fleck" ?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

Yep it's cherry, those are the tiniest flecks I'd ever seen before. Because it is hard to get a true q-sawn in cherry is why I think it would take so long, it is pretty easy to work with otherwise. When I saw crotchwood straight through I'll get some on the straight grain. I sell the figured grain sliced off the end of the slab.

Had a guy call from Idaho, he wanted q-sawn cherry in 16' lenghts. He was going to redo a courtroom in the courthouse with it. Cost was no consideration but time was so I didn't get the job.

Kirk_Allen

Quarter sawing should be no problem with cherry provided the log is of sufficent diameter to make it worth while.

Norm,
How much q-sawn cherry was the guy looking for?  I have about 100 BF of q-sawn in lengths as long as 17' that I might be interested in selling for the right price.

Norm

I got the call in December Kirk, he needed the wood before the end of January and it had to be kiln dried to 8%. He wanted 1000 bd ft of it. I got the feeling if it wan't perfect the load would be coming back. I offered to custom cut it for him but he wouldn't wait that long. I sure would like to see it when it's done. :)

Brian_Bailey

I don't really care for true QS cherry because my eyes have a hard time focusing on the wood.  The flecks are to small and numerous, makes the wood look blury to me anyways.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Brian_Bailey

Here is an example of where I do like the visual effect of QS cherry.

The picture is of a magazine frame I made for my wife. Luckily, when I cut the frame parts, some nice QS figure revealed itself. I arranged the pieces so when the frame is on display the QS compliments the face of the frame but doesn't draw the eye away from the purpose of the frame.

Here is the frame.

Here is the QS effect on the edge of the frame.

Now IMO if the effect was reversed, your eye would be drawn away from the subject of the frame and be hard to look at, which isn't good.

Thanks for looking  :).

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Thank You Sponsors!