iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying thick Red Oak in DH4000 (L-200)

Started by DR Buck, April 16, 2020, 05:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I have a potential customer that will be bringing large amounts of thick red oak several times a year for kiln drying.   His company provides "low budget" fireplace mantles to builders.  They are milled from red oak and are 5" x 9" thick and just over 7 feet in length.   In the past the mantles were installed regardless of moisture content and they have had about 25% that have to be replaced because of checking.   He would like to have them kiln dried to reduce his loss on replacements.    

I'm running the Woodmizer DH-4000, same as Nyle 200 with a different controller.    I typically avoid drying stuff over 4" thick, but this could be a great income maker for me.   The customer usually acquires 60 at a time from the sawmill he deals with.    My questions are :

1- What sort of schedule should I dry at?   I assume this will be longer than my normal 3 to 4 weeks for 5/4 and 6/4 boards.

2- I don't think pulling them down to 6 or 7% MC is going to be cost effective, so I thought that a target MC under 10% would be sufficient.    

3-  Is this even feasible and can it be done in a 6 week timeframe?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

We can dry 4/4 in 5 weeks, but 6/4 is likely 8 to 9 weeks.

6/4 is dried using the 8/4 schedule that is in Drying Hardwood Lumber.

Because you tie up the kiln so long, you would find proper air drying would be more reasonable, cost wise.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Ianab

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 16, 2020, 05:36:25 PM3-  Is this even feasible and can it be done in a 6 week timeframe?

I suspect not for that thickness. If they were air dry (for a year or so?) then maybe you could finish them in that time frame. Otherwise you are in vacuum kiln territory.  Either way isn't going to be "budget".  Air drying for a year or two has a cost as well. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

K-Guy

I would air dry to 25-30% before putting them in the kiln. If they are cut to shorter pieces(3 ft) it may reduce the drying time with less defects but I would bow to Gene's experience on that.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Stephen1

I would expect them in my Vacuum kiln for 4-6 weeks at least. 
Just following along 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

I agree 5" thick red oak has a high defect rate either in a dh kiln or air drying.  

Both will take many months at best.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

boonesyard

Recently we dried a 6x9x12' red oak mantel in our vac kiln. It had air dried for about 6 months, and was in the kiln for 7 weeks. We dried it down to 7%, but there as still a substantial amount of checking. Most like that look when going that large.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Thank You Sponsors!