iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Sawed In The Rain Today, Oh Boy

Started by pnyberg, August 22, 2010, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

A while back I started a thread asking for advice on how to set up my schedule so that if I get a day that washes out due to rain, it doesn't screw up my schedule for customers months down the line.  I got some good advice, and a lot of suggestions to buy some decent rain gear.  (Not that the suggestions to buy some decent rain gear was bad advice.) 

Losing a day due to rain was more my customer's choice than mine.  But, I did buy a good rain suit.  Today I got to try it out, as the customer was more than willing to work all day in pretty constant rain.  Man did that suck.  It's not the working in the rain part that's bad, it's the secondary effects.  Mostly it's that the sawdust just sticks to everything. Making up a legible bill at the end of the day was not easy, since I couldn't figure out a way to not drip heavily on whatever I was writing. 

I'm warm and dry now though, so it all seems worth while.

--Peter
No longer milling

paul case

could you send some of that rain over this way? we could use it.

this spring i had 2 trailer floor orders come in and they were both in a hurry. there wasnt any logs in the lot to make it from.and it was raining . i cut down 6 tres in the pouring down rain post oak. no rain gear. my pants got permenantly stained brown from the sawdust. got a few to the mill and it quit raining. sawed the next day and not a drop of rain while i was in the saw shed. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Not only do I not make schedules, I don't saw in the rain either.  During busy times, I'll firm up a saw date when I get within a week or so.  Customers have a way of skidding up more logs and sometimes jobs that should take a couple of days, may take a couple of weeks.  When  a customer decides that he wants to take a few more trees down, I'll just wait a few days or whatever.   I'll call the next guy and let him know.  When I finally get to him, I'm his until I finish sawing everything that he has.  If he also drags up a few more logs, then that's just the way it is.

Rain is for ducks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: pnyberg on August 22, 2010, 09:51:13 PM
It's not the working in the rain part that's bad, it's the secondary effects.  Mostly it's that the sawdust just sticks to everything. Making up a legible bill at the end of the day was not easy, since I couldn't figure out a way to not drip heavily on whatever I was writing. 

I'm warm and dry now though, so it all seems worth while.

Sawing in the rain ...

Wet sawdust sticks to everything. Take your gloves off and it sticks to your hands -- then gets inside your gloves when you put them back on. Rain soaks your gloves, of course. If they're cheap unlined gloves, the tannins wash out and start to burn your skin. If they're lined gloves, they don't burn your hands but they take twice as long to dry out. Wet sawdust builds up on your mill and keeps the cants from sitting level (snow is worse). Wet metal is slippery as heck -- the logs don't roll onto your mill, they slide on. Standing on a wet mill is risky -- too much metal to hit when you slip and fall. Got a good rainsuit? Wait until you wear it during a warm downpour -- you'll be wetter from sweat than if you left the suit off. Ditto with boots. Somehow rain seems to gravitate up your sleeves so even with a good rain suit, your shirt sleeves get wet and cold and clammy. You can usually tolerate a morning sawing in the rain, but don't take a break -- getting back to the job when you're wet and cold is downright miserable.

Going inside at the end of a rainy day feels really, really good; almost makes you look forward to sawing in the rain again -- not.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

weisyboy

me 2

it was raining here today to.

just get ya self a driza bone and a good hat.

i only book about 2 weeks in advance in case of mechanical failure.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Meadows Miller

Gday

I hate working in the the rain but it has to be done you just have to do what you gotta do  ;) and its not much help having the bloody flu this week aswell and its also raining down here  too Carl and ill second the dryza bone and a good wide brimed hat to stop the water going down your back  ;) ;D 8)

its throwing a spanner in the works for getting 5 semi loads of mountain ash outa the bush aswell for me too this week   :( ::)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

For a portable job of any size get one of those large rectangular metal tube tents with plastic roof to keep the sun and rain off you.You could even put your advertising on the roof. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Day before yesterday, I finished a saw-job in the rain.

Only had two 8ft White Pine, 14inch logs left on the landing.

We sat in the truck about 10 minutes and the rain stopped (slowed down), so we got out and made 2x6 & 2x4 out of them and shut down.  ;D

Took the blower and cleaned the mill as best I could, hooked the mill to the truck, tallyed the lumber pile and left.

I hate getting stuck on a saw-job in the rain.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

If it rains too much and you are on the back 40, you may need help getting you and the mill out.  I made the tire tracks on the right going in that morning in 4X4.  No way could I pull the mill out

I needed a tow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bodger

They don't even make you work in the rain on the chain gang!
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Brucer

Quote from: Bodger on August 23, 2010, 02:29:31 PM

Yeah, but my boss is a DanG site meaner than any Captain on the chain gang >:(.

Wait a minute, I'm self-employed  ???.

paul case

Quote from: Brucer on August 24, 2010, 01:46:45 AM
Quote from: Bodger on August 23, 2010, 02:29:31 PM

Yeah, but my boss is a DanG site meaner than any Captain on the chain gang >:(.

Wait a minute, I'm self-employed  ???.

mine too.pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Chuck White

I think that other than getting soaked by the rain, the biggest concern would be safety!

Around the sawmill everything is slippery when wet. 

A nasty fall could happen very easily.

Sometimes we just don't realize how many times we climb up on our mills to check this or that.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pnyberg

I did climb up on the mill at one point to turn a stubborn log by hand.  Once I was up there, I thought about what I was doing for a second, climbed back down, and figured out how to turn it while standing on the ground.

I took this picture on Monday morning just before spending about 40 minutes hosing wet sawdust off the mill, and then another half hour cleaning the cab of my truck.

--Peter
No longer milling

Brucer

Quote from: pnyberg on August 24, 2010, 09:23:30 AM
... and then another half hour cleaning the cab of my truck.

Right ... forgot to mention that part.

Also, hang the wet gloves above the stove to dry. You end up with stiff dry gloves coated in dry sawdust. Sawdust then falls all over the house as you carry the gloves outside. Ditto with the rain gear.

maple flats

Quote from: paul case on August 22, 2010, 10:00:07 PM
could you send some of that rain over this way? we could use it.

I'd like to have sent our rain on 8/22/10 to you. We had 8" and everything got soaked. Would have rather stopped at 1".
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

paul case

we still havent gotten any rain. we are kind of at the top of the hill. very shallow stony soils and they dry out quickly. out temperatures have moderated some but we are very dry. the last good chance we had just split up and went north and south of us.

but here in my neck of the woods, we could be in the middle of a flood and only be 10 days away from a drought.  pc
pc

sigidi

When I have a day booked, I'm like Wells Fargo...

I figure only difference rain makes to a days milling is personal comfort, yeah a bit more sawdust sticks to the mill, but she gets a tub when I get home so that is cool. I have no trouble booking jobs in advance as nothing goes wrong with the mill - the truck may be a different story, but if I wasn't married, the mill would be inside every night!!! ;D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

sandhills

pc, I know just what you're talking about.  Live on the edge of the sandhills here and like you said, flooding one day and drought the next.  We had record rain fall early this summer, between the end of may and the end of june we got over 30 inches, now we can't buy a good rain.  Just like you said it comes knockin then splits right around,  oh well guess we're gonna get what we get :(

terrifictimbersllc

I try to avoid rain at all costs, in planning a sawing day at any distance from home.  I carry gear and have sawed in the rain just to finish up or make do with the situation.  But I get tired and also can't control what happens with the customer or helpers.  Slipping when moving logs, or around the mill, or carrying lumber etc etc seems very dangerous to me and giving potential that I could be held at fault for permitting an unsafe situation should something happen.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brucer

If I avoided sawing in the rain, I'd be seriously broke (instead of slightly broke).

ArcFault

There is a guy up the street from me who has a mill. He mill's 24/7. I've never driven by and seen that mill unmaned. He is nutz.

Thank You Sponsors!