iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those Four Little Words...

Started by MSU_Keith, December 20, 2005, 01:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSU_Keith

My wife took the kids up to get them ready for bed and I thought I had the perfect opportunity to get some basement workshop time in.  Had some some draws for a chop saw table all cut up for weeks and ready for dados to hold the bottom plywood.  Lets see...setup the table saw height and fence... safety gear on... dust collector hooked up and turned on...just about to feed the first board through when out of the corner of my eye the door opens and I here those four little words that stop any project cold but warm any heart:

"Daddy, can I help?"

For I split second I was a little miffed at being interupted but my three year old daughter had actually put her boots on over her PJ's because I told never to go in the workshop without shoes on.  Oh, well...unplug all the tools and the dust collector...put anything sharp up high... and try to figure out a 'project' she could help with.  We ended cutting a heart shaped necklace out of scrap,  sanding it down and painting it 'purple and pink'.  The only thing she didn't help with was drilling the hole.

The next morning she told me it was a great early Christmas gift and wanted her picture taken with it.  Now if only there was some kind of photo contest I could enter? 8)

getoverit

I'm really glad you stopped and found something to do that included her "help."

Speaking as someone who has been there and done that, the time you spend with them only serves to build a relationship that will stand the test of time. When she is older, she will cherish every moment you spent.

Merry Christmas my friend!

PS: save the necklace for the future, it will remind you of the good times forever.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

etat

That is truly a heart warming story!  

You get a chance and if you don't mind give that little girl a hug for me.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

JimBuis

Keith, ya dun good!!

My Dad, God rest his soul, didn't often do it as good as you did.  However, one thing he did do is teach me to love tools and working with my hands.  Even though I went on to graduate school and a white collar job, that love of tools has provided for my family many times.

As a matter of fact, if not for the sort of stuff I learned from my Dad, I would not be a Wood Shop Teacher right now.

Dads and Moms who take the time to teach their kids important stuff like you just did teach them a whole lot more than they realize.
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

crtreedude

Reminds me of my daughter when she was young - I would be heading out the door to go fishing and she would say - "Can I come?"  Now there is fishing, and fishing with kids - they aren't the same. Of course she could come - and I would spend the day baiting her pole and knowing I would hear about how she caught more fish than daddy!  ;)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

8) 8) 8) 8)What a great story. I am really glad to hear that you have deveoped such a wonderful relationship with her. That picture would win da boss over on the FF Christmas Contest for sure. We would all like to see it.  Go for it. Today is the last chance.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bull

Keith you got your christmas present !!!    Congrats.   aren't kids great...   
Pat yourself on the back for being the kinda of dad to stop the world for his kids..... Amen !!!
The guy up stairs just put 10 points on your score card.

Patty

Keith, you are a good man.  ;)   Your pretty little girl will forever remember  the time she "helped" Daddy.

And I think you will too. ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Bro. Noble

Two of the biggest regrets in my life are not spending more time with my kids when they were little and not having little ones to spend time with me now that I'm getting older.

I can't think of any better investment of your time than doing stuff with little kids.

I don't know of any time more appreciated than that spent by young folks with the 'old folks' :)

Ya done good,  Keith 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

crtreedude

Noble,

Our kids don't have any grandchildren yet for me to spoil so I do it to the workers kids...  ;D

The parents don't mind.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

MSU_Keith

Thanks for all the kind words.  Bull hit right on the head - I've already got all the Christmas present I need!  8) 8)

Kirk_Allen

Fla._Deadheader

Amen to all the above comments.  8) 8) Very cool, Dad  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

If you take a look. Keith did submit his photo to the contest. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

A heartwarming story.  That song, Cat in the Cradle and a Silver Spoon, sung by Cat Stevens back in the '60s has a very true message.  I wonder if that heart necklace will end up being in your daughter's jewelry box for many, many years to come. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ernie

Another example of God's best creation ever, Children.  They are even better as grandchildren because we get to spoil them even more.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

rebocardo

One of the best things are two of my girls love to help me unload my truck at the end of the day. So, I make sure I keep light buckets and the chain saws without the bars and chains so they can carry them into the garage to "help me".  :D

Thank You Sponsors!