iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardwood firewood ??'s

Started by realzed, February 18, 2018, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

I'm with you on thinning Honey Locust, but I should add that there are people that go GAGA for the lumber.  Since I see you have a mill, it would be something to think about...

I haven't girdled any HL yet.  Still working through some I dropped 3 years ago.  Seems to hold moisture even cut through with branches holding it off the ground...  1-3 years drying in the log, doesn't seem to matter, then a month or two cut & split.  I will say there are a lot fewer thorns after 2 years and whats left has pretty well given up the fight!  Next batch will be girdled to see if it does better.   ;)

I can't afford to burn Hickory compared to what the BBQ restaurants pay!   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

MAF143

Just got the mill and we're using HL for all kinds of projects, including a deck for the rear of the house.  We have TONS of it back through the woods so I don't think we'll be running out any time soon.  Not really looking to turn the mill into a business...  yet...  I will keep my options open once I retire from my day job in a few...

Shed for the mill, drying pavillions, garages, sheds, sheds, did I mention sheds...

I did buy steel inserts for all my work boots due to the locust thorns.  As I said, we have a TON of em back through the woods.  My wife still has a scar from running a HL thorn thru her foot 45 years ago.  I don't need that to ruin my day...

Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

TKehl

Didn't realize they made steel inserts!  :o  I've been hesitant to buy a pair of nice Redwings with steel sole due to the price.  Going to go get a pair for my old steel toes now!

Thanks!   8)

And I hear you, we're only keeping the best for lumber.  They like to grow and funny angles around our place, at least the ones in the fence rows where I started.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!