iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moose ... Deer ... Bear ...What ever

Started by isawlogs, October 22, 2007, 08:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I had some moose for super . Fried it in a pan with garlic butter and pepper , now dats some good .  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

isawlogs

Chicken  eh eh  Yep thats dam good chickenn .  :D :)

Deer season is just around the corner . Dats good eatin ' too .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

what's deer season for?   Do they get ripe in the fall? :D

Dave Shepard

I had some moose stew once, best DanG stew I ever had. Of course, any stew is good when you've just come in from working in -10 with high winds to sit next to the woodstove. ;) I don't hunt, but if there was a moose around here, I'd try to stew him.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

Moose can be good if properly prepared and cooked. It can also be as tough and gamey as my old Kodiaks. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Yep Tom...they feed all summer to get fat for winter..fawns are grown and not dependent on the does...bucks runnin around nuts and sometimes aimless...pack in the meat for winter eatin...variety of reasons for deer seasons   ;D ;D ;D  but you knew that already. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Quote from: isawlogs on October 22, 2007, 08:00:20 PM
  I had some moose for super . Fried it in a pan with garlic butter and pepper , now dats some good .  ;D :)

How much is a plane ticket to Quebec ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

asy

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Engineer

Local guy just bagged a 900-pound bull moose about ten miles from here.  There's a lot of 'em in the area.  The head of the moose was big enough to fill the back of the pickup truck.    Around here that kind of kill makes the front page of the paper.   Probably to annoy, horrify and disgust the city folk.   ;D

isawlogs

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 22, 2007, 10:43:18 PM
Moose can be good if properly prepared and cooked. It can also be as tough and gamey as my old Kodiaks. ::)
Funny you would say that .. I have not yet had one that tasted like my Kodiacs , then again I havent been that hungry to try my Kodaiacs .  :-\  Truthfully I have never had one that was bad eatin and or tuff on da jaw .

Quote from: WDH on October 23, 2007, 12:17:57 AM
How much is a plane ticket to Quebec ???.

drive up .. should be straight up from you , aim da truck between Champlain lake and Memphremagog lake and youd be right close then once youd hit da border . .. Just dont bring sausage wit ya for breakfast .  ::) :D

Marcel

sawguy21

Marcel, say it isn't so. No sausage for breakfast ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

Oh therell be sausage but not if he brings it . :-\  I know that fur a fact ( now ) .  :P Dem guys at da border like um a lot much  . >:(    :'( :'( :'( :'(

Marcel

moosehunter

Had deer inner tender loins for dinner last night. One onion, 1/4 stick butter, one hot cast iron pan, two inner loins digin_2
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

moosehunter
Aren't the tender loins the same as 'inner' loins?  Along the spine are the loins.

Fresh deer recently? (or did I miss it? ) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Carries-Mom

I miss the days my dad used to make deer jerky...that was some good eatin' there...and of course the rest of the deer meat was awesome, too.. musteat_1

isawlogs

Ah jerky .. dats something I want to try to make this year ...  Did he make it spicy or etable  ;D ..

Marcel

Carries-Mom

he made it kind of both...ask Fla._deadheader...that's my pa.... ;D :D :D

SAW MILLER

When we butcher hogs the old timers (Me) always called the inside tenderloins the butchers meat....The fish or inside tender loin.On a beef it is the fillet mignon.On my plate it is called dang good eatin. 8)
  I just had some two nights ago outa a doe .
I think the ones on the top of the critter are loins,..Is that correct?
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Mooseherder

Quote from: SAW MILLER on October 25, 2007, 10:39:18 PM
I think the ones on the top of the critter are loins,..Is that correct?

That is correct.

semologger

i dont care my mouth is watering reading. just 3 more weeks till deer gun season. just 3 more weeks till deer gun season. keep telling myself that.

Raider

They make me hungry also! Got a young doe last thursday the 18th. Wisconsin has an early earn-a-buck season, shoot an anterless, and you get a buck tag ::) This is for some units. Gov. Doyle and his mighty DNR :o :o :-X think that is the way to go :-\ But if that's how one is to play, well that's the way it is. Anyway's I take the leg of deer and cut round steak on a meat saw, then, run the rounds thru a tenderizer, that you use for cube steak, fry onion in some butter, flour the cube's,fry, fork tender 8) 8) ;D MGD, wheat bread,  Nuff said :) :)  Raider

moosehunter

beenthere,
Yes, "tender loins" and "inner loins" are the same. I only used both names because some refer to the "back straps" as tender loins.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

LeeB

My son Paul got his first deer yesterday evening right at dusk. I had to go to a fire dept meeting so I did a quick skinning on it and finished procesing it when I got home. I was up till 2:30 this morning. No help from Paul, little bugger had school this morning.
He was proud as punch of himself and ole daad was pretty proud too. Got him a little four point. He want's jerky from it, but I saved out the backstrap and tenderloins, plus the usual ground meat.
I took a doe a few days ago and we had the tenderloins from it the next day. First time I've hunted in many years. Had it fried with mashed taters, gravy, corn, and green beans. Yummy!!!!
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Engineer

Since I've never gotten a deer in my (very) limited hunting experience (with one exception) - what percentage of dressed weight will wind up as usable meat?   Reason I ask is I'm considering a rifle permit again after 20+ years without going hunting, and I want to know if it's worth my time.  I won't hunt for sport - I want venison for the freezer.

I did squish a small deer, maybe about 90 lb, with my truck, probably about 7 years ago.   I had help dressing it out and cutting it up, since I didn't know what I was doing, and it seemed to me that there was only about 20-30 lb of meat after we were done.  Is that reasonable?  All but the tenderloin was donated to the fire dept. for our annual venison supper, and my package of tenderloin might have been three lb. but not much more.

Thank You Sponsors!