iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms 170 oil pump help

Started by bagman, April 07, 2013, 11:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagman

I checked past forums and didn't find no threads related to this.

What is the depth and which way does the oil pump go back in?

I just changed the oil line in the tank and just wanted to make sure the oil pump is in correctly before I reassemble.

sablatnic

There should be a drawing beside the hole for the pump. The pump must be turned as the drawing. I normally just tap them gently till they hit the "bottom". Gently!

joe_indi

You must have used a M5 screw tightened in the pump as a puller when you removed it from the body.You need to use  a plate washer on the screw  with a nut on either side  to mark the depth to which the pump should be set when you put it back again.
This might sound foolish, but if you have anybody else nearby who owns a 170, you could set that washer correctly.Otherwise, it will be just guess work.
Or like sablatnic suggested, tap it in to the bottom for the time being and set the pump to the correct depth when you have next have an obliging 170 owner willing to let you use a screw in this saw's oil pump.
Regarding the direction, sablatnic has it right, there is an image next to that hole, just use that image to get the right direction.

Joe

bagman

Thanks guys for all the great info smiley_beertoast

Thank You Sponsors!