iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new toy

Started by Mlamountain, June 15, 2011, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mlamountain

I was told this was a 1980 664.  I think its a b series.  I could probably sell the tires and rims and get all my money back so I took a chance.  No major leaks and everything seems to work okay.  Now i get to learn all about this one.  I allready have a late 80's 664.  The one I picked up today has the detroit in it and my old one has a cummins 4bta in it.

Jasperfield

Well, that's great! Now, when you roll one skidder, you'll have another one to set it back upright.

I hope you get good service from it.

Mlamountain

How did you know I barrel-rolled a skidder?   At least when I did all the tires were facing the ground.  Ha

Mlamountain

So i started tinkering with my new 664.  it is quite a bit different than the d series that I allready have.  for instance there is some sort of brake lock? on the dash.  I assume you pump the brakes and flip this switch to keep the pressure up?

I had to take it apart because it was completely seized.  Ill put it back together tommorow.  Also there was no brake fluid in the master cylinder so there are no brakes to test it with.  when i got my 86 664d the previous owner told me there were no brakes.  After I filled the master cylinder with fluid and bled the line the brakes worked fine.  Im hoping this is also the case with the new one.

Another part that I notice on the 664b is some sort of emergency kill switch besides the regular kill swith?  It is broken and im pretty sure its not connected to anything but just how many kill switches does a machine need?

obviously it isnt needed cause its completely broken.

Mark K

You should hook that emergency kill up. Hooks to a waste gate on the blower. Was designed so you could kill the intake if the motor started to run away. Detriots will run away if the blower seals go bad and will run on its own engine oil. No way of stopping the engine without that waste gate hooked up or a fire extinguisher handy. Seen it happen.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

HuZzEy

yeah run aways are bad I had a cummins ISM in INT box truck run away in april oil seal on compressor side of the turbo blew I tried everything to shut it down I used 2 16lbs fire extinguishers right in the air filter nothing it finally after 25 minutes shut down ran out of oil. 12g's later it's back on the road 

Thank You Sponsors!